Is "star utility player" even a thing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Two things that didn't seem to be mentioned:

1. What does your DD want? Does she want to be a utility player, or a catcher?

2. How good a catcher is she? Are we talking about almost no passed balls, great framing, and blazing pop times?

If she is a great catcher who doesn't give a whiff about SS, why bother? If she is a so-so catcher who really wants to play SS, why not?
She's a very strong catcher, but if you ask her right now, she'll say that she wants to be a college outfielder.

There was a lot happening when I posted on Monday afternoon. Mom had had a conversation some time earlier with the parent of a recent recruit who'd informed her that many colleges recruit shortstops and then convert them to outfielders. And then there was apparently a conversation with another coach who suggested it and subsequent to that was the commentary directed at me.....and that's what led me here for a therapy session.

Feb 3, 2011
Momo,

1) Hitting, hitting, hitting.
2) If you don't think she is a SS, she isn't a SS. If someone else thought she was a SS, she would already play SS.
3) Is she fast? Get a stop watch and time her...don't do the "home to first" thing, it is too sketchy...too many variables. Do a 40 Yard dash.
4) If she is fast, drop everything and work on her OF skills. If she isn't, make her a 3B.
5) Hitting, hitting, hitting.

Did I mention hitting?

Heck yes on hitting!

A day earlier, she'd tried out for a team where the starting CF, a freshman, had just verbaled to Oregon. This 9th-grader makes strong contact, then flies. She's got a slight build, but a beautiful swing and serious wheels. I don't know that Mojo will ever have that kind of speed, but she's got a bigger frame and would presumably be naturally stronger. She's got to put in that work consistently, though.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
My DD's profile says C/UTIL. She's the only player on the team that has UTIL next to her positions. Her and I have worked on becoming a Utility player for a few reasons. 1. depth at every position: We had 1 first baseman last season and she was a bit clumsy during the winter, 2. College camps/showcases: She should never seem out of position or uncomfortable. 3. Every team needs 8 defenders besides the pitcher so she now has value.

There's nothing wrong with Utility but unless the player can actually help the team at every position they claim to play they should stick to a primary and secondary. As for SS I don't think I've seen a player yet this season that will play SS at the next level. Many decent TB players but nothing that says D1 or D2 SS. Very tough position to play at a high level.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
At 10 DD moved up to 12U because they needed a pitcher. HC asked me what position DD played besides P, I told him anywhere you want. He said he would fix that and give her a position. 3 games in she played every position in the field. :)

This year she was reunited with the same HC, it took her 10 games to play every position.

She will happily play anywhere you want, she has a great attitude.

Mar 28, 2013
From my observations there are only three defensive positions that recruiters actually recruit 1)catcher 2)pitcher3)center field. In that order. after that they will fill every other defensive positions with HITTERS. My DD is a above average pitcher and can hold her own at 18 gold nats ASA and 18 u PGF nats, also plays the corners quite well. she was 15 last year.She loves the circle, lives and breathes pitching. Her problem is she is also a 2.7 lefty with a 650 season average and a slugging % above 1.00 that can also slap. We have already had the talk that nobody is going to give a rip about how well she pitches, they will be recruiting a hitter.

Jun 12, 2015
At 10 DD moved up to 12U because they needed a pitcher. HC asked me what position DD played besides P, I told him anywhere you want. He said he would fix that and give her a position. 3 games in she played every position in the field. :)

This year she was reunited with the same HC, it took her 10 games to play every position.

She will happily play anywhere you want, she has a great attitude.

I love kids who don't complain. Mine learned the hard way this year that coaches don't like whining. Coach told her to head out to right field, and she said she didn't like outfield. So she got to sit that inning instead. Whoops. A good lesson. Coming from a low level 8U team she's used to just sticking the kids who can't play in the outfield. But I think it was also that because she has hardly played any outfield at all, she was afraid she wouldn't know what to do. I told her next time she better just smile and say yes sir and run on out there, and do her best. I think it was a lesson well learned. Nobody likes a whiner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid