Is Pitching coming to this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
I am watching a state championship Game. I have two short videos on their Pitching styles(I need to post on a separate thread) . I did the best I could to slow it down. It appears to me that both girls are leaping and re-planting. Their techniques resembles the Pitcher form Mississippi State(Silkwood). What are your thoughts? Neither coach could complain because their own pitcher had the exact same style. If this is what pitching is coming to my daughter is in trouble.

P.S. The team in Green won 2-1.

May 26, 2014
Isn't there two types of foot work styles taught for pitching. The step method and the leap and drag method. I see this as the leap and drag except the foot needs to drag.

There are two fundamental styles of pitching in fastpitch softball…based primarily on the aggressiveness and length of a pitcher's stride (with her non-throwing side leg). The common names used for windmill pitching styles are either "leap-and-drag" or "stepping style".

Jan 25, 2011
Isn't there two types of foot work styles taught for pitching. The step method and the leap and drag method. I see this as the leap and drag except the foot needs to drag.

There are two fundamental styles of pitching in fastpitch softball…based primarily on the aggressiveness and length of a pitcher's stride (with her non-throwing side leg). The common names used for windmill pitching styles are either "leap-and-drag" or "stepping style".
I guess you missed the op point?

Oct 19, 2009
Seems like I recall the NCAA Rules Committee instructed umpires to call illegal pitches, but to give the pitchers the benefit of the doubt and not to disrupt the flow of the game. IMO this gives the coaches and pitching coaches a free pass to break the rules. Seems like the umpires are in a bad position do we or don't we?

DD faced a pitcher a few years ago, in 18 Gold, who at release her front foot was even with the front of the circle and on a few occasions was past the circle because she was leaping, she had a reputation of being a DI recruit and nothing was ever said during the tournament reference her leaping. IMO she had an advantage due to the fact she was so close to the batter reducing reaction time also IMO was a danger to her and the batter, reducing her reaction time from a ball hit back at her and a batter to get out of the way of a ball when it is thrown at their body.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Coaches only want IPs called on the other team. Umpires don't call IPs because umpiring is a service industry and do not want to lose the work. Tournament directors do not want umpires that call IPs because it slows down the games.

All a parent can do is make sure his/her DD learns to pitch IAW the rules. Control what you can control - including your own integrity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck