Is it too late?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2013
I have a 12 year old daughter who has been playing since 8U and just now she wants to start pitching. Is it too late for her to really begin and still be effective?
Thanks for any replies

Apr 13, 2013
Short answer is absolutely not.

Longer answer is it depends on what level she wants to pitch at. The lower level the Team the faster she will get circle time.

One good offseason she should get a lot of circle time in rec. or a lower level TB Team, it will take longer to pitch on a higher level TB Team and she might have to move Teams if they have good pitchers already.

I know some players play rec. and TB just so they can get some experience in the circle with the goal of pitching on the TB Team.

School ball is a whole different story, it depends on your school.

Edit: There are a lot of D1 and HOF pitchers that started later than this.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I remember reading about a pitcher in college who did not start until her sophomore year in high school. And the only reason she started was because her HS team did not have a pitcher!

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Never too late. Just a little catchin up to do.

I have had girls as old as 15 start out. One man as old as 46 If I recall correctly.

Never too old.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No. I have a 14 yo starting on Tues. The older girls learn quicker and retain more information and want to be there. Most 12yo aren't pitching very well, anyway. I am pulling teeth around here, to even get them to throw a CU, and this is travel ball.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
No, it isn't too late. But, she has to "get after it" and go to work. If she goes to work, gets a good pitching coach and practices 3 to 5 times a week for the next 12 months, she could be a good pitcher by next year.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
My daughter started at 12. Now 2 years into it and loves it. She wants it and tries to listen to every bit of info her coach tells her. I'd say she is doing very well, the best no but on the road to success because of her determination not mine.

Jun 22, 2013
Thanks for all the replies. I would like to know if a pitching coach is the only way to begin or are there some drills I can do with her just starting out?

Jun 22, 2013
I also have a question about pitching techniques. Searching Youtube I found plenty of coaches advocating a release that I have seen many girls at 12U use. I can only describe it as the pitchers hand is behind the ball at release and the arms comes up to the shoulder. I do see other threads on here talking about IR. Can either of these styles work and it there a better one? It there is a preferred one, Why?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC