is it really necessary?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
for the girls to have all matching everything?

HC of DDs team is going to have team buy helmets, cleats, bags, and even batting gloves. this is for a 12u B team, with a lot of variation in the size of the girls (ie tiny things to girls nearly as tall as me). trying to word a communication to him, DD has some sensory issues, and we would really prefer to be able to get her gear that she feels comfortable in (and I would also love to be able to just paint her current helmet, but it looks like they will have a two tone helmet, not that good with paint or masking tape). hopefully pants will be solid, as we normally swap out any uniform pants to buy her the one brand she is most comfortable with.

I get asking everyone to do the team color (or if unavailable, something neutral, black, white, gray, etc.). but to me cleats and batting gloves are very much a personal preference type thing). if gear was free via a sponsorship, that is one thing, but we are still paying, just not directly.

Aug 18, 2018
I recall hearing painting a helmet voids it's warranty.
I agree, cleats and batting gloves should be player option.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2019

HC of DDs team is going to have team buy helmets, cleats, bags, and even batting gloves. this is for a 12u B team, with a lot of variation in the size of the girls (ie tiny things to girls nearly as tall as me). trying to word a communication to him, DD has some sensory issues, and we would really prefer to be able to get her gear that she feels comfortable in (and I would also love to be able to just paint her current helmet, but it looks like they will have a two tone helmet, not that good with paint or masking tape). hopefully pants will be solid, as we normally swap out any uniform pants to buy her the one brand she is most comfortable with.

I get asking everyone to do the team color (or if unavailable, something neutral, black, white, gray, etc.). but to me cleats and batting gloves are very much a personal preference type thing). if gear was free via a sponsorship, that is one thing, but we are still paying, just not directly.
Unnecessary. Team should spend more on training and less on gear.
Our former team didn’t require same helmets or bags which was nice. Either blue or black helmets/bags any brand.
New team is paying for all new gear for girls.
I would have a conversation with HC. It’s 12B not Team USA.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I've always been a fan of players having matching helmets and cleats (part of the uniform, IMO), and bags. If it's my choice, they get their choice of gear preferences. Batting gloves don't matter to me.

That said, my DD just joined a new team (16U TB) that requires certain brands for everything. Everything! It's a bummer, but it was expected going in.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

I hate to say this, but the team policy on uniforms (and associated cost) is something you should have asked about and understood before you joined a team. Is it 'necessary' - probably not - but it really is up to the individual teams and some orgs and teams think it is massively important.

The younger the teams, the more I see matching 'everything'. And expensive. For most it tends to go away as they get older. Our 18U team spends basically nothing on uniforms. in fact we have been wearing the same set of dri-fit single color uniforms for 2 or 3 seasons now.

May 6, 2015
when we joined, they were talking about keeping costs down, and it was (and is ) a secondary consideration. just wanted to get a feel for what the general thought was on the topic.

my opinion theory, show up mismatched, make the opposition think this is a low level thrown together team, and then beat the bejesus out of them.

Aug 16, 2019
NORTH TEXAS
I hate to say this, but the team policy on uniforms (and associated cost) is something you should have asked about and understood before you joined a team. Is it 'necessary' - probably not - but it really is up to the individual teams and some orgs and teams think it is massively important.

The younger the teams, the more I see matching 'everything'. And expensive. For most it tends to go away as they get older. Our 18U team spends basically nothing on uniforms. in fact we have been wearing the same set of dri-fit single color uniforms for 2 or 3 seasons now.

no truer statement than in the first paragraph from marriard.
fund raisers is all I can say. My DD gets sponsorship from local business owner to offset her expense

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
my opinion theory, show up mismatched, make the opposition think this is a low level thrown together team, and then beat the bejesus out of them.

Not your decision for this team. You are not the coach or leading the team.

... I don't disagree by the way. Just it isn't your team to make that decision.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619