Is it OK to pitch our girls with our batters in pre-season and practices.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2011
Wow, all good points to consider. I wouldn't advise it as much with a pro team because those players are not 10yo and need to learn the reflex of good pitch, bad pitch, watch a ball swing at a strike. The ONLY reason that I've considered this option is that in our league as well as travel, these girls can NOT hit the ball in a game. Not just our team, all the teams. And I know it is a pitcher/defense game. But at the same time, if these girls can hit off a coach pitch, machine pitch, any practice pitch, why do they fall apart during a game. Pressure as well as pitching variation. They are not all strikes like the machine. They are different speeds, the surprise of an unexpected pitch, it's too high then it's too wide, then wham it's right down the middle and they just watch it. I've seen that 80% of the time. We're caught between a rock and a hard place to coach this problem.
In reviewing the responses here, I have not been able to create a list of reasons that are significantly bad for full on pitch practice against full on batting practice. If it does not jeopardize the safety of either, I can't find a reason not to include it as part of post season practice.

Feb 26, 2011
They interviewed the coach from ASU today after the game and he said their pitchers pitch to their batters in the fall and the begining of the season before games start.

Jan 25, 2011
We just used are pitchers today,but we want are pitchers act like it is a game and do what they can to not let them hit.I like it,it makes both the batter and pitcher work.

Jul 26, 2010
We just used are pitchers today,but we want are pitchers act like it is a game and do what they can to not let them hit.I like it,it makes both the batter and pitcher work.

Exactly, that is hitting practice. Real count with real balls and real strikes, with a real pitcher trying to strike out the batter.

Batting practice is tossing meatballs over the plate to a bunch of batters trying to make them feel better.

-W

May 14, 2010
I have never lost a game in which my team scored more runs than the other team. I doubt any of you have either. Since that is the case, we spend as much time on hitting as we do on fielding, maybe more. Especially now that we are at 18U.

Anything I can do to prepare my players mentally and physically to hit in a game, is fair game. After all, when your OF is practicing, you don't just soft toss balls 15 feet in the air and let them catch them, right? While that can be 1 drill, you use others, right?

Maybe I am an old traditionalist, but I think simulating a real game is critical. Yes, we use soft toss, machines, TCB, coaches behind screens, but I also use live pitching from our pitchers. Not much during the season, but more to prepare them for the season.

Don't forget the value to the pitchers, either. Especially at a young age. It's one thing to throw to a catcher in a cage. It's another to pitch to a live batter when you have an audience. Adds pressure and every pitcher needs to practice pitching under pressure!

Feb 15, 2011
FL
It is the best for both the batters , pitchers and catchers. Especially at that age, this type of practice is the best if all three are trying to better their game. Keep a few girls to shag balls and have the rest of the girls hitting off T's or soft toss with the other coaches to make practice useful. Also not a bad time to teach the girls base running. They can learn how and when to lead off, reading a ball off the bat to see if they need to tag or go, and stealing on a past ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck