Is it necessary to post this score?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
The question is why schedule this game in the first place. Does anyone on either side get anything from this matchup?

Does it make anyone better?
Great questions!

Remember being on the coaching staff for a junior college and we had the preseason opportunity to play UCLA.
Was there learning involved?
What it did was give the players at the JC an opportunity to be on the field at a level they hadn't previously been exposed to. Was it necessary? That could be a flip of the coin either way 🤷‍♀️

Definitely no high expectations the JC team would hold up against UCLA.
Was it demoralizing for some of the JC players? Could have been.
Was it an opportunity for the JC players to step up to compete as best they could. Definitely!

After the game the team got to go on a tour of UCLA softball facilities including inside they're awesome softball team rooms. Which I thoroughly enjoyed and in perspective put to shame some of the other D1 programs team rooms have seen.

imo What came out of the day was showing JC players that had interest in developing themselves to go play for a four-year College the opportunity to see something greater than a JC College. But I don't think that was something all of the players necessarily needed or wanted to see. Because not all players have those goals.

To my knowledge UCLA did not post anything as to a score about the game. Rather simply reported preseason play getting ready for season.

Jul 2, 2013
DD plays for an NAIA team that isn't close to many big D1 schools so they play a mix of JUCO and D2 or smaller schools in the fall. At one location they kept score on the scoreboard. At another they had the scoreboard on but only kept track of balls, strikes, outs, and what inning it was. At the other locations they didn't even have the scoreboard on and made no effort to keep score of any kind. These are all "scrimmages" and the only thing DD's school posted was some photos with mention of the "softball action" that day.

It is a little ridiculous that someone of Oregon's caliber would post this. My guess is it's an over-zealous underling in the SID office who is actually in charge of that account. They probably got the "score" from the softball team and made a typical post for a winning effort.

Jun 16, 2022
Is it right or wrong? I don't know but I do know the difference as to whether a team/program has class or not and small things determine that.

One year I had a great high school baseball team. We were in the regionals and had rain. We won our first game in extra innings. We had another game and won that in extra innings. I didn't have any pitching left other than my starter who was my #3. We were playing a team that didn't have to play one game due to a bye. They were better than us. On a coin flip, we were home team and they were up 12-0 after scoring 4 in the top of the 7th. They had runners on 1st and 3rd and they ran a squeeze play. It took umpires, coaches, and about half of those in attendance from stopping me when I went after the other coach. I didn't get ejected but should have. By that time in the game, I was throwing a freshman who didn't have a varsity inning. ......................... Now that I think about it, it started when I tried to stop my assistant coach from charging the other coach. Then, he had to stop me. LOL Class is important in athletics. It is a part of how we want our teams and players recognized by other teams.
You and your AC were the ones showing no class.

Dec 19, 2021
Great questions!

Remember being on the coaching staff for a junior college and we had the preseason opportunity to play UCLA.
Was there learning involved?
What it did was give the players at the JC an opportunity to be on the field at a level they hadn't previously been exposed to. Was it necessary? That could be a flip of the coin either way 🤷‍♀️

Definitely no high expectations the JC team would hold up against UCLA.
Was it demoralizing for some of the JC players? Could have been.
Was it an opportunity for the JC players to step up to compete as best they could. Definitely!

After the game the team got to go on a tour of UCLA softball facilities including inside they're awesome softball team rooms. Which I thoroughly enjoyed and in perspective put to shame some of the other D1 programs team rooms have seen.

imo What came out of the day was showing JC players that had interest in developing themselves to go play for a four-year College the opportunity to see something greater than a JC College. But I don't think that was something all of the players necessarily needed or wanted to see. Because not all players have those goals.

To my knowledge UCLA did not post anything as to a score about the game. Rather simply reported preseason play getting ready for season.
Good/interesting take. Might have been fun to see the facilities and tell people who they played. Hope they didnt feel too demoralized to enjoy the experience.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
So far, the twitter post has 211k views. And a lot of negative comments.

I am local to these teams. Last year UO did this same thing, but with OIT (there is a thread on here about it too), and OIT finished second in the NAIA tournament. They are just going to thump the local non d1 schools around here. But these games are great opportunities for the other local schools and I fully support these fall ball games.

My eye-roll is that they are even keeping score in the first place. None of the other schools around here do that. It just seems to defeat the purpose of these games.
I stand partially corrected.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
If this is a real game, yes, post the score. These are adults playing in these games, and it's a simple score graphic.

But it sounds like this was a scrimmage with altered rules. That's not a real game, and the score seems not legitimate. Don't post that score.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad