Is hitting off a pitching machine necessary?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
DD is on a new team this spring (1st year 12u). I offered to let the team use my pitching machine. Coach declined and said he doesn't like pitching machines. I didn't ask why, but it got me thinking about timing. Are pitching machines a necessary part of batting practice or can it all be done with coaches doing under hand front toss? Do you just move up close to simulate the reaction times needed for hitting off a fast pitcher?

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
Old school, stick in the mud, know it all coach. We didn't use pitching machine back when I played blah blah blah.

May 21, 2015
South
The summer before DD freshman year in college, her high school got a new 3 wheel pitching machine. We went to the cage and I set it to the numbers associated with college pitching. She struggled to make contact but would not give up. We went every day for a week and by the end of the week she was making consistent contact. I later learned that she was seeing 68 mph from 38 feet. Other than dealing with her frustration, I think it helped her in her career.

May 27, 2013
Just something to consider from personal experience - every indoor college recruiting camp my dd attended when she was going through the process utilized a pitching machine. Nothing wrong with getting players used to it early so that it’s not a shock when they get to the point they are going to camps. While it might not replicate how they’d hit against live pitching, it can leave a first impression on the hitting coach if they can or can’t hit off one.

Oct 26, 2019
I think it is easier to focus on getting the front foot “up” on time instead of down on time. If it gets up on time it most likely will get down on time
100% agree as a general rule to hitting. I usually tell our hitters “front foot in the air when the balls in the air”. However, in my experience with machines there is almost always a delay in the ball being fed through the machine. It’s not consistent. The ball hangs up sometimes and goes In quick others. You end up with your foot in the air forever on one and late on the next.

Oct 26, 2019
Just something to consider from personal experience - every indoor college recruiting camp my dd attended when she was going through the process utilized a pitching machine. Nothing wrong with getting players used to it early so that it’s not a shock when they get to the point they are going to camps. While it might not replicate how they’d hit against live pitching, it can leave a first impression on the hitting coach if they can or can’t hit off one.
Great point. I have seen good hitters struggle off the pitching machine, but just about every hitter I have seen hit well off of it usually it’s well in games. It shows you can make adjustments.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I’m a fan of front toss and I like pitching machines as a tool. On hitting days, we pitch live, and hit or bunt off the machine as an option to get extra reps. How to time a pitching machine
1. Bunt the ball
2. Get in a deep take stance swivel the bat to contact
3. Full swing , start by swinging early when the ball 1st exits the machine.
4. Work the timing backwards of being super early until it’s in your hitting zone.

The kids I see that don’t like pitching machine usually can’t use their rhythm and tempo like a live arm, so I don’t force them but everyone should be able to bunt off a machine.

Dec 11, 2010
If you play softball long enough, you are going to see Hack Attack machines.

You are also going to see players who have no idea what they are doing feeding it.

Sometimes the player feeding it will be another tb player at at camp when you are trying to put your best foot forward.

The setting numbers on a hack attack machine are not realistic for softball. Great company, great machine, need a re-do on that.

Jun 8, 2016
DD’s coach uses them before tournaments he knows they will face exceptional velocity. When I was a kid, when I couldn’t find anybody to throw to me, I hit a lot off those old school pitching machines where a little mechanical arm would go around to deliver the ball. Would use up my whole allowance on them 😂

May 27, 2013
DD’s coach uses them before tournaments he knows they will face exceptional velocity. When I was a kid, when I couldn’t find anybody to throw to me, I hit a lot off those old school pitching machines where a little mechanical arm would go around to deliver the ball. Would use up my whole allowance on them 😂
The old Iron Mikes!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles