Is Arm Swing Past the Hip an Absolute?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
First of all... it's not my wind up. It's just the one I use. Semantics perhaps... but I just hate to imply that I "invented" something in pitching. I didn't. All I do is what I learned.

If she is over rotating, then she's going back too far. But, I will never ever believe that a pitcher can generate as much forward momentum from ONE arm (backswing) as he/she can with both arms and both halves of the body. So, while it also has the added benefit of hiding the ball/grip, it also means he/she will get more momentum. Just think of doing a broad jump. Do you get more power swinging one arm or both arms for jump? Both.

If she's over rotating... have her start in the "ready" position. Where, she has her front knee bent, waist flexed and both hands backward past the hip.... then pitch from there. With enough reps of doing this, the pitcher will learn where the correct place to stop on the backswing is and when the explosion forward should start.

jdavitsky.... learning how to pitch with one arm swinging will make it harder to change to keeping hands together later if you were to decide you want to do that later. It's not easy to just change pitching motions. It's not an absolute to keep them together, but I absolutely would!!!!!!

You had mentioned'd Ty.... If my memory serves, Ty didn't have a backswing but, he did drop his hand out little early giving the batter a "snapshot" of the grip. But Ty threw so damn hard!!! It was almost as if he was saying "catch me if you can". In fact, at a tournament once, a good friend of mine led off an inning with double. Ty turned around to him and said "I'll bet you a six-pack of Heineken you don't score". My friend didn't take the bet, good thing for him. ha ha.

I see you're from Waterloo. I've had one of the biggest HR's ever hit off me in Kitchener at the ISC tournment. While it may have only gone 350 ft. it looked like it was out of a MLB park. LOL. We lost the game. Not because of the HR (but that didn't help) however, the HR just put icing on the cake, especially considering it was the Kitchener Twins who beat the be-Jesus out of me. LOL.

Bill

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
My 11u DD learned pitching copying Coach Hillhouse's style but later self modified to add a small backswing ala Ueno.

I don't mind as I consider it part of the "dance" of personal style before the pitch, and she throws equally erratic either style regardless.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think DD has gone threw 4 or 5 different windups. I am sure she has a few more in her.

The only one I did not like was the ball and glove over her head as far as possible. I think she was standing on her toes too. It might work when you are 6' but when you are 3' it looks silly and throwing everything off. If I watch games on TV there are some really good pitchers that use this windup. Watching them pitch I would not change it but it wasn't for DD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild