Is Arm Swing Past the Hip an Absolute?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2012
Waterloo Ontario
Hi DFP'ers,

We are retooling DD to use I/R and are now beginning to work on the drive portion. My question is whether the initial arm swing in the backwards load an absolute? When I look at Ty Sofflet in an earlier post, he simply brings his hands into his body rather than a rear arm swing. DD used to swing her arm rearward, but we found she would over-twist causing other balance issues.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jason

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
No, it's not.... However many will argue it aids rhythm, timing, and overlap, while others may say the no swing back hides the grip.... This is a style preference.
Don't be afraid to experiment with both and let her decide what she prefers. Keep in mind that the load or negative move is an absolute... swinging the ball hand back isn't.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2012
Waterloo Ontario
Thanks Coach...Since she doesnt yet drive well I am thinking we start with the arm swing to get the timing and overlap correct...otherwise it may make things more difficult :)

Jun 12, 2015
My dd used to have the big backswing but I've noticed lately she hardly has one at all. From what I can tell it's really just what the pitcher is comfortable with.

May 12, 2008
Late to the party here but do you folks changing your teaching methodology to "change" dd to IR check her slow motion video first to see if she figured it out unconsciously on her own in spite of what she was taught? Case in point, all MLB hitters have been taught stupid stuff about swinging a bat at some point in their life. Many of them will describe their swing much differently than what you would see them doing in slow motion video. And yet somehow, movement geniuses I susppose, they have a world class swing. To summarize, I'd double check what she is really doing in slomo video before I decided what to do with her training regimen.

My apologies if this has been covered and is already common consensus.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Big thing the last 5 years or so is the pitcher turning her back to the batter with no backswing at all.

And what James said.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Big thing the last 5 years or so is the pitcher turning her back to the batter with no backswing at all.

And what James said.

Hillhouse windup. Keep the ball in the glove, slight twist to the throwing arm side, then bring it forward. Daughter is doing this now and I also use it as I am learning too.

Dec 10, 2012
Waterloo Ontario
Hillhouse windup. Keep the ball in the glove, slight twist to the throwing arm side, then bring it forward. Daughter is doing this now and I also use it as I am learning too.

Thats what DD is doing now but she over rotates throwing her entire balance off which she then has to compensate for. Yes we can correct that, but since we are trying to learn proper leg drive I believe that it will just over complicate the entire process. My though process is to go with the standard arm swing so that we can get proper overlap.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
One of the big reason of why my daughter stop doing the arm swing was her over rotating as well. She has since learn how to do an arm swing, but have gotten used to the no swing style.
[video]https://youtu.be/uLNuj1uuTRU[/video]
uLNuj1uuTRU

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Since my daughter prefer the no swing style, we are working on getting her to do this vs dropping her hand out of the glove. We are going with the cradle on the side vs what Amanda was showing out in front.
https://www.facebook.com/ThePackagedDeal/videos/1662116784045137/?pnref=story

The style is a choice, a load is a must. So if you going with a one arm swing, two arm swing, a cradle, just go approach. Whatever style you choose, it is only going be as effective as the load.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi