Is a screwball a screwball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Agree with sluggers that the effectiveness of screwball is the angle and location of the pitch rather than the movement. At best, the screwball has 1/7 (not 3/9) rotation and most seem to be more bullet spin than anything else. Don't know if you guys remember Meg Langenfeld (UCLA) in the 2010 WCWS but she threw 80% screwballs and they were primarily angled, bullet spin pitches; however she could locate the pitch very well and it was effective for her. IMO, its extremely difficult (if not impossible) to get pure side spin on the screwball and maintain a high velocity on the pitch.

How is this different for a screwball versus any other pitch? Also understand that according to Sluggers it is not difficult to get pure side spin on a screwball. Rather it is physical impossibility. An event in the annals of softball that has never occurred and until the end of time will never occur. The ability to throw a single pitch with pure spin is as real as a unicorn.

Actually not sure why anyone would want pure spin on any pitch. Seems to me that even slight movement through more than one plane is a good thing. And if that movement varied slightly from pitch to pitch how is that undesirable.

May 13, 2012
Don't have physics background or degree. Seems like I read somewhere that Cat is good at adjusting velocity up or down with the rpms of each pitch that make the most of the magnus effect. I have caught a few curve balls from pitchers that no one will ever read or hear about. Some seemed to "loop" curve on a larger radius than others. One seemed as though her velocity was to great as any break occurred/started when the ball was above the plate vs in front of so it was not effective. But no none were jumping but yes they were breaking. Wouldn't or couldn't a screwball demonstrate the same charicteristics?

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
i think adjusting speed will be more effective. with the same pitch at different speeds you will also get different amounts of movement.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Wouldn't or couldn't a screwball demonstrate the same charicteristics?

It would if this spin (3-9) was possible. I've never heard of anyone who has seen a true screwball. The cutter and scrop are probably better pitches to explore.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
To clarify what I believe (as if anyone cares):

1) It is impossible to legally throw a fastpitch pitch with "pure" screwball spin at more than 50MPH.
2) A screwball pitch can be effective because the pitch is thrown at a different horizontal angle and with different mechanics. The batter being unfamiliar with the mechanics will incorrectly estimate the location of the pitch. The movment is minimal.
3) Unless the PI is really good, a pitcher can end up with a terminal case of "sticking the butt out" disease (AKA as no brush interference).

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
To clarify what I believe (as if anyone cares):

1) It is impossible to legally throw a fastpitch pitch with "pure" screwball spin at more than 50MPH.
2) A screwball pitch can be effective because the pitch is thrown at a different horizontal angle and with different mechanics. The batter being unfamiliar with the mechanics will incorrectly estimate the location of the pitch. The movment is minimal.
3) Unless the PI is really good, a pitcher can end up with a terminal case of "sticking the butt out" disease (AKA as no brush interference).

I agree..... it is a "non BI" Pitch...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06