Is a -9 drop appropriate for an eight year old?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I recently picked up an Easton (Cyclone) 28 in / 19 oz (-9) bat for my DD. She weighs 62 lbs and is almost 4 1/2 feet tall. I am wondering if the bat might be too much for her. Someone suggested a -11? What are the advantages / disadvantages to the different drops?

May 25, 2010
In my estimation, unless she's super strong, that's a pretty heavy bat for a 62-lb 8yo. By comparison, my almost-8yo is about 55", 72 lbs, and above-average strength and she's planning to continue with her 27/17 this fall. She has a 29/19 that she doesn't swing with nearly as much speed or control. I sometimes marvel at the difference 2oz makes.

If your daughter can handle the meatier bat, go for it, but I'm willing to bet she'd be a lot more comfortable swinging the 28/17.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
In my estimation, unless she's super strong, that's a pretty heavy bat for a 62-lb 8yo. By comparison, my almost-8yo is about 55", 72 lbs, and above-average strength and she's planning to continue with her 27/17 this fall. She has a 29/19 that she doesn't swing with nearly as much speed or control. I sometimes marvel at the difference 2oz makes.

If your daughter can handle the meatier bat, go for it, but I'm willing to bet she'd be a lot more comfortable swinging the 28/17.

I asked my DD last night her weight and its actually 68 lbs (vs 62 lbs i wrote earlier) but shouldn't really matter too much for this analysis. On on earlier post, someone suggested to grab the handle of the bat at the knob with the left hand's thumb and forefinger only (for a right-handed batter) and hold the bat straight out to determine if the bat is too heavy. She can hold this positon for about 10 seconds and then it gets too heavy. My gut feeling is the bat might be an oz or two too heavy but she might quickly "grow" into the bat over the next six months as she gets taller and stronger?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207