IR - Questions for the Experts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
I have pitched for many years and instruct area pitchers as well as my Tournament and High School pitchers.

IR is somewhat new to me or at least I have never heard of it mentioned prior, I must of missed something, LOL.

I get what I was taught back in the day was not necessarily the best, and anytime I learn something new I want to make sure I have a full understanding of the benefits for the player, team etc...

When I look at the internal rotation mechanics, I worry about the elbow in that sometimes it appears to be getting twisted.
Then I think about overhand throwing and don't see anyone flip their arm with the palm/arm facing a different direction than what it was facing at the point the ball was released. ( Similar to shooting a basketball, the spin created by my fingers is followed with my fingers continuing in that direction...)

Maybe my thinking is incorrect, as some of my students pitch with Internal Rotation, and I have no issues unless they are staying to far from their body and loosing their ability to maintain proper mechanics, or suffer any pain when pitching.

When I have a pitcher that leans/bends, it drives me crazy. I normally find they are under their ball at release and bend to keep it down. I was always taught to be behind the ball, and with internal rotation, if done correctly, it looks that the pitcher still gets behind at release and then everything shoulder down is flipping at that point, and continues to flip into the follow through, palm down.

If anyone knows a good website to learn more about IR or to see additional videos, I would love it. Anything that will help pitchers achieve greatness on the mound, I am all for, as long as it does not cause any injury etc...

One last thing, is it still possible to have a peeling drop with IR?

Thanks for your help in directing me to a good source of info on IR, not a debate on IR, just info on the mechanics and benefit.

Feb 5, 2010
Stemcellsrock,
I'm not sure how long it will take for someone to get back on this so to get you started you can go to page 4 and get a pretty good start on IR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes