IR Motion - RPS and Velocity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
When a pitcher whips harder (faster) does this naturally lead to a better spin speed? Are those two connected –whip speed and rotation speed?

I'd say, not necessarily. If you're talking about an upper-echelon pitcher, than yeah... but I assume you're referring to the girls you have been working with. Often, younger athletes associate speed with tension. Tension limits flexibility. Higher spin rates are enabled by flexibility, but triggered by the proper chaining/sequencing of i/r - and ultimately a product of finger location and fingertip pressure at release. Like Rick, I agree that the axis outweighs the spin speed - especially when using a revfire... as it's not going to tell you the axis...

Furthermore... I'd say the MOST overlooked aspect of the i/r - for beginners - is the release. Too many people view that thread and leave with the concept that the internal rotation of the forearm is I/R. As such, most of them roll the arm through release. There have been some really nice articles in the last year or two that don't specifically address softball pitching, but do focus on similar movements as they relate to proximal-to-distal sequencing. This, IMO, is I/R.

So, long story short, the key to better spin/speed is proximal-to-distal sequencing. In order to enable the forearm to rapidly travel through the release, the proximal segment (the upper arm) must slow down. Most younger pitchers do not utilize this correctly, and there entire arm just 'blasts' through the release.

My thinking is this, rps and overall speed is directly linked to how long they can delay the forearm rotation and the power with which the blast through that rotation. If the palm starts turning too early then most the spin and speed is lost.

This is but one piece of the puzzle. Delaying the arm (by keeping palm up) creates a reflex. The real power of i/r is attained by adding the forces. You speak of only one. The others are long-axis rotation and the deceleration of the proximal segment (the upper arm). The latter, I already mentioned. The long-axis rotation, on the other hand - has recently been argued as the link in this chain. It has been discovered in similar motions, like racquetball - that this long-axis rotation (marked by the internal rotation of the bicep - against a stable platform... a vertical upper arm) that creates the greatest chaining potential. It's also been shown that this rotation happens later when optimal - similar to the delay you mention.

Can you attain all by simply delaying the palm-up rotation? No. The upper arm should be a focus - not just the delay of the hand rotation.

Lastly, I've found that many younger pitchers, still bury the ball further back on the fingers than needed. I try to put focus of the grip in the outermost pads - as they are last in contact - specifically the index and middle finger. If you watch the slo-mo videos of Pauly, Scarborough, and Lawrie - watch the influence and motion of the fingers at release. They're not cocking their wrists as they approach release - but the flexion of the wrist is undeniable. In those videos, and in those release mechanics... coupled with what I mention above... you'll find the answer.

Last edited:
May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Thanks Java. I should have mentioned the pause of the upper arm as well. I've pointed it on the Finch, Scarbourgh and Pauly video to my girls many times. I tell them to think of how we crack a whip or a towel, the only way to crack that whip is to move the handle forward and then stop it rapidly to get the tail of the whip to crack. I've even thought of bringing a whip to practice and have them play around with it to understand the principle.

I've watched those finger releases on the above mentioned videos over and over. I noticed with the ball facing third right before wrist/forearm rotation--it is impossible to cock the wrist but the fingers do play a major role in the flight, axis and rps. The one video of Pauly's daughter at release shows her using the index finger as the last finger to touch the ball was different. I always thought the last finger to touch the ball, baseball or softball, was the longest finger. I tried a few pitches with my index finger...it wasn't pretty.

Last edited:
Willy
The last finger thing depends on which pitch you are throwing....dropping type pitches would tend to be more middle finger dominant.

Thanks Java. I should have mentioned the pause of the upper arm as well. I've pointed it on the Finch, Scarbourgh and Pauly video to my girls many times. I tell them to think of how we crack a whip or a towel, the only way to crack that whip is to move the handle forward and then stop it rapidly to get the tail of the whip to crack. I've even thought of bringing a whip to practice and have them play around with it to understand the principle.

I've watched those finger releases on the above mentioned videos over and over. I noticed with the ball facing third right before wrist/forearm rotation--it is impossible to cock the wrist but the fingers do play a major role in the flight, axis and rps. The one video of Pauly's daughter at release shows her using the index finger as the last finger to touch the ball was different. I always thought the last finger to touch the ball, baseball or softball, was the longest finger. I tried a few pitches with my index finger...it wasn't pretty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06