IR Drill Using Football

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Are you talking about this one ???

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cqNnDS2YYzc?rel=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Don't fall too much in love with the fpootball drill...it serves a purpose for sure but I typically don't use it passt the first lesson or 2. I used it for 5 minutes with my 8 year old.

Here was my video made almost 2 years ago.

If I was to go back and re-do the video, I would make one change and that is with my left arm...I would have a slight bend in the elbow to promote lead arm adduction. Tincher students would have the palm facing the catcher, I would prefer to see the palm facing slightly inward and upward to plant the seed for glove swirl that Rick Pauly talks about.

Anyhow...

One thing I have found more helpful than the football, is this: IMG_1394.jpg

When we first saw Java almost 2 years ago, he had something similar with pipe insulation poking through. Easy enough to make, buy some long straws or find some thin plastic dowel and drill a hole though the ball. Mine is just secured with double-sided golf grip tape. Same idea as the football...get the "points" spiraling in-line towards the target...you don't want to see "the pigtails" (DD1's term) on each side of the ball.

The question about how long does it take and how much speed will they gain...

People have taken note of how my pitchers throw different...so I've been helping some of the teams in our organization over the past few weeks...I had a 10 year old gain 9 mph in 30 minutes according to my pocket radar...in fact all of the 10 years olds have all hit 40mph within just a couple of weeks.

Teaching them to THROW I/R is just the first step...this is pretty easy to teach IMO...20 minutes for the basic motion...the football or pigtail ball can assist with this...

Teaching them to PITCH using I/R is where the real "art" is...this takes years...the football or pigtails are useless in this regard IMO...CP

May 8, 2015
We have had lotz of fun with the football.... I add this gif... hoping that this turns into a 100 page thread.... :cool:

Football.gif

I think I'll get the wife to try this 1st!!!!;)

Mar 9, 2015
Don't fall too much in love with the fpootball drill...it serves a purpose for sure but I typically don't use it passt the first lesson or 2. I used it for 5 minutes with my 8 year old.

Here was my video made almost 2 years ago.

If I was to go back and re-do the video, I would make one change and that is with my left arm...I would have a slight bend in the elbow to promote lead arm adduction. Tincher students would have the palm facing the catcher, I would prefer to see the palm facing slightly inward and upward to plant the seed for glove swirl that Rick Pauly talks about.

Anyhow...

One thing I have found more helpful than the football, is this: View attachment 9253

When we first saw Java almost 2 years ago, he had something similar with pipe insulation poking through. Easy enough to make, buy some long straws or find some thin plastic dowel and drill a hole though the ball. Mine is just secured with double-sided golf grip tape. Same idea as the football...get the "points" spiraling in-line towards the target...you don't want to see "the pigtails" (DD1's term) on each side of the ball.

The question about how long does it take and how much speed will they gain...

People have taken note of how my pitchers throw different...so I've been helping some of the teams in our organization over the past few weeks...I had a 10 year old gain 9 mph in 30 minutes according to my pocket radar...in fact all of the 10 years olds have all hit 40mph within just a couple of weeks.

Teaching them to THROW I/R is just the first step...this is pretty easy to teach IMO...20 minutes for the basic motion...the football or pigtail ball can assist with this...

Teaching them to PITCH using I/R is where the real "art" is...this takes years...the football or pigtails are useless in this regard IMO...CP

Thanks. We are early in the transition to IR. I have my sons football so thought I could have my DD practice as well. We are also using Javasource video above as well.

Oct 6, 2015
How long does it typically take to transition from a different pitching method to IR?

I started transitioning my DD about 2 weeks ago. I'm hoping it won't take too long. Already after 2 weeks, she will occasionally put it together and get it right. I'm hoping that will begin happening more and more as we continue to work on the drills we've found on this site.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'd bet that team parties and practices at PC's house are a blast (Just gotta make sure the liability waivers are up-to-date and on file...) ;)

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Phone reception is better up on the roof.... :cool:

I'd bet that team parties and practices at PC's house are a blast (Just gotta make sure the liability waivers are up-to-date and on file...)

Great point.... the other girl doesn't have me sign when they teach her to drive 4wheeler...:mad:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi