IP's and percentage of pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I do not have the numbers. But, it seems that there were, what, two or three pitchers that were being called for the IP's. Perhaps I am mistaken and there were more.

How many pitchers competed in the WCWS that WERE NOT called for an IP even once?>

We should accomodate 3 pitchers and NOT enforce the rules? Dont enforce the rules just to accomodate those three pitchers? HORSE POOP!

Unless there were more than I am aware of, not enforcing the rules to accomodate three pitchers is insanity!

How many pitchers competed and never got called for an IP? I think a new rule should be introduced; If a pitcher is called for 6 IP's in a game, she should be ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct. In my entrie pitchibg career, I only got called for one illegal pitch and the umpire was correct in his call. I was ejected for it! Just for one IP! You get to the higher levels of competition and IP's should not occur! Cheating cannot and should not be allowed. Not at all

An IP is an IP right? What if these pitchers were being caught putting a foreign substance on the ball? Lets say, a little Vaseline on the back of their ponytails? And some of it accidently keeps getting on the ball? When discovered, do you think that pitcher would not get tossed on THAT IP?

Hal

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
IMO all the rules should be enforced all the time!

Reasons I would argue to change the IP rule in question is
-Blue have enough to do already, there's no way a human can do all the jobs required when runners are on base.
-Where do you draw the line as to what an IP is. How much loss of contact with the ground is acceptable. Lots of pitchers loose contact momentarily, it's hard to see.
-I don't see how the leap helps the pitcher. I will concede this if shown otherwise. And yes I seen the pitchers in question loose speed when forced to become legal during a CWS game. Any change in form takes a little time to adjust to.

If leaping definitely causes injury then leave the rule alone, but enforce it.

I would like to give credit to Fowler for the class, professionalism, what ever you want to call it, on adjusting quickly in the biggest game of her life. She went right back to throwing strikes like nothing had happened.

I'm ok with your new rule, but think if the existing rule was enforced all the time you would never see 6 IP's in a game.

Tim

Jul 28, 2008
...In my entrie pitchibg career, I only got called for one illegal pitch and the umpire was correct in his call...

Hal,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't men's fastpitch allow both leaping and crow hopping? And hasn't this always been the case?

I am all for enforcing the rules and making the pitchers pitch by the rules, but I, too, fail to see any advantage for the pitcher by leaping. At the very least, get rid of the penalty of a one base award. The advantage, if any, would be against the batter, not the runner.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hal,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't men's fastpitch allow both leaping and crow hopping? And hasn't this always been the case?

I am all for enforcing the rules and making the pitchers pitch by the rules, but I, too, fail to see any advantage for the pitcher by leaping. At the very least, get rid of the penalty of a one base award. The advantage, if any, would be against the batter, not the runner.

I had control over what I did that got me tossed. These IP's are entirely in the pitcher's control to stop.

Cheating is cheating is cheating. It was illegal, it was obvious and it did not get stopped. It does not matter what the violation is, cheating is cheating.

The question of a coach's and pitcher's integrity is the issue here also. If you cannot win unless you break the rules? Why should they be allowed to continue playing? They have an adequate penalty right now. But the pitchers must be required to pitch legally. If they do not stop violating the rule by a few more IP calls, BOOT EM!

I believe the ISC allows them to leap but I do not believe the AASA does. Although, it has been quite a few years since I have competed. The NSA does not allow and was enforcing it from the first one committed, from what I saw. If Arizona won or wins, that title will be tainted for sure.

Cant get caught using steroids in MLB. Cant get caucht leaping in the WCWS either. Both ar an illegal act.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2009
I love it...cheating is cheating, unless it's ok... huh?

Next time I play poker, I should just bring a few extra aces and sneak them in...If nobody catches me, SWEET!! If they do, I'll just promise to not use them anymore...but I'll keep the chips I got from them when they didn't notice!!
hmmm...wonder how that would go over?

Jan 29, 2015
I do not have the numbers. But, it seems that there were, what, two or three pitchers that were being called for the IP's. Perhaps I am mistaken and there were more.

How many pitchers competed in the WCWS that WERE NOT called for an IP even once?>

We should accomodate 3 pitchers and NOT enforce the rules? Dont enforce the rules just to accomodate those three pitchers? HORSE POOP!

Unless there were more than I am aware of, not enforcing the rules to accomodate three pitchers is insanity!

How many pitchers competed and never got called for an IP? I think a new rule should be introduced; If a pitcher is called for 6 IP's in a game, she should be ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct. In my entrie pitchibg career, I only got called for one illegal pitch and the umpire was correct in his call. I was ejected for it! Just for one IP! You get to the higher levels of competition and IP's should not occur! Cheating cannot and should not be allowed. Not at all

An IP is an IP right? What if these pitchers were being caught putting a foreign substance on the ball? Lets say, a little Vaseline on the back of their ponytails? And some of it accidently keeps getting on the ball? When discovered, do you think that pitcher would not get tossed on THAT IP?

Hal

Those sneaky umps

Jan 29, 2015
I had control over what I did that got me tossed. These IP's are entirely in the pitcher's control to stop.

Cheating is cheating is cheating. It was illegal, it was obvious and it did not get stopped. It does not matter what the violation is, cheating is cheating.

The question of a coach's and pitcher's integrity is the issue here also. If you cannot win unless you break the rules? Why should they be allowed to continue playing? They have an adequate penalty right now. But the pitchers must be required to pitch legally. If they do not stop violating the rule by a few more IP calls, BOOT EM!

I believe the ISC allows them to leap but I do not believe the AASA does. Although, it has been quite a few years since I have competed. The NSA does not allow and was enforcing it from the first one committed, from what I saw. If Arizona won or wins, that title will be tainted for sure.

Cant get caught using steroids in MLB. Cant get caucht leaping in the WCWS either. Both ar an illegal act.

Maybe they should have been sneaky.

Feb 22, 2013
I was ejected for it! Just for one IP! You get to the higher levels of competition and IP's should not occur! Cheating cannot and should not be allowed. Not at all

Following this logic - Anyone caught leaving the base early in a steal attempt should be ejected from the game.