IP or legal delivery

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2008
Either FED or ASA rules.

Pitcher pushes off and lands with front foot. Back foot drags, then comes off the ground after front foot lands, but before the ball is released.

What's the call under both rule sets?

I think it's legal in FED because of rule 6.1.2.C. "The pivot foot may remain in contact with or may push off and drag away from the pitching plate prior to the front foot touching the ground"

I can't seem find anything in ASA that says it's illegal. We have two local pitchers getting nailed left and right on this call in HS ball.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Kind of hard to determine with just a description, but it sounds like your pitcher is 'bowling' with her back leg, which while not illegal, does take away from the power/speed she generates on her pitches. As long as in the opinion of the umpire, she is not 'replanting' on her back foot (which would be a crow hop), you should be fine.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It's always been my understanding that once the stride foot lands the pivot foot can go wherever the pitcher wants it to go. But you're probably not going to find an actual rule that states that verbatim.

In other words, it isn't illegal because there isn't a rule that says it's legal. Just the opposite- it's legal because there's no rule that says it isn't.

Consider this: A pitcher using the footwork you describe...

- IS dragging the pivot foot during the push off, which is the part of the delivery when the stride foot is still moving forward. Once the stride foot lands, the push off phase of the delivery has ended.

- Is NOT pushing off from a place other than the pitcher's plate.

- Does NOT have both feet airbourne at the same time.

- Is NOT taking more than one step toward the batter.

Sounds to me like your pitchers are meeting all of the requirements of these rules.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
There is always a question as to whether a step like this is considered to be "simultaneous" with the pitch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06