IP on UCLA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
JJ, I don't know how Alexis got brought into this thread but I'll mention to her dad that she is a leaper. I have not seen her pitch recently. I just talked to Joe yesterday. I grew up with her dad.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
As an FYI, every one of these pitchers can throw within the rules if the rule was enforced. They don't because they don't have to.

Dec 7, 2011
As an FYI, every one of these pitchers can throw within the rules if the rule was enforced. They don't because they don't have to.

I would submit that many would NOT be able to throw nearly as fast (and therefore as effective) if forced to not replant.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
JJ, I don't know how Alexis got brought into this thread but I'll mention to her dad that she is a leaper. I have not seen her pitch recently. I just talked to Joe yesterday. I grew up with her dad.

she was pulled in because the OP went up during the UCLA v. Auburn game. While she was in the circle. Going along with my stance that the rule should be 100% enforced for all pitchers, all the time, I do not see any difference in the legality of Carda's pitch or this one.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/24156-lexi-davis.html

it's kind of like the rule in golf about touching the sand with your club, whether you do it to get a feel for how thick it is or to move a rake, it is still a violation.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
The obvious take away from all this is that PC's (or parents) should utterly disregard the rules and teach their pitchers to replant if it works for them. Yes, they may encounter umpires in HS and/or TB who call IP's but not to worry--adding that extra 5-10 mph will be well worth it when seeking that D1 scholarship, where IP's are nothing more than a water cooler topic for hitting instructors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 7, 2011
she was pulled in because the OP went up during the UCLA v. Auburn game. While she was in the circle. Going along with my stance that the rule should be 100% enforced for all pitchers, all the time, I do not see any difference in the legality of Carda's pitch or this one.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/24156-lexi-davis.html

it's kind of like the rule in golf about touching the sand with your club, whether you do it to get a feel for how thick it is or to move a rake, it is still a violation.

Hold it - are you saying you don't see any replant difference between Carda and Davis here?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Agreed. Source was not real happy about it. Last I heard NCAA said they had to study the effects of allowing leaping on the female body. Interesting considering they have been allowing them to leap by default for years and I have yet to see any of them keel over because of it. As a fellow umpire has stated many times, all the college coaches want it called, just on the other teams pitcher not theirs. The coaches propose and vote on the rules, they just have to vote to change it.

The NCAA has to study the effects of leaping on the Female Body? Am I to assume that they have suspended the long jump and the hurdles from Track and Field until the study is complete?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I agree that leaping in the current context does not provide an advantage. However, if leaping was allowed and properly executed it has the potential for an advantage. The reason pitchers leap is sub standard mechanics. For all its shortcomings the rule serves to keep really bad pitchers out of the circle. My fear is that if leaping is allowed you will see a significant degradation in the overall quality of pitching at all ages.

If leaping is only done by really bad pitchers and Non leapers are superior? Then why are we having this conversation, by extension of this logic none of these leapers would be pitching in D1 yet alone in WCWS.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Well , to be quite honest, if I were the BU , I probably wouldn't call them either. But , that's just me. I mean can you imagine what the game would look like if it were called every pitch or even every third pitch. Not very entertaining. Would the pitchers eventually adjust? Yes they would. But as much as softball has gained , it would quickly be less interesting while they were going through these pains
If thats the reason for not calling them then thats just wrong. The Umpires do not have the job of making the game entertaining. The Umps have the job of calling the game according to the rules. If their employer has instructed them to not make a specific call, then they go along with the boss and look bad. But to not call it because of the entertainment value that''s really bad. Its just as bad as the 12u ump with different strike zones based on pitcher skill to make the game more "fair" or "interesting"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi