IP on UCLA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Since a leap is not actually a mechanic, many things can cause them. A leap is simply the rear foot not maintaining contact with the ground. The cause can be a simple as a girl flexing her leg so the toe loses contact to a sever body contortion like the photo above. But in and of itself it is only a flaw in the sense that it is currently illegal in a couple of rule sets.

I would argue that the contortion is more common than the flex. There is leaping and then there is LEAPING. Fix the defect and the LEAPING issue goes away.

Dec 20, 2012
So guys like Hineline, Stofflet, Uneo and the likes should work on fixing defects? [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8CMlupKMfqM&autoplay=1[/video]

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I'm not understanding this argument. The rules say that what these pitchers were doing is illegal. So, if they can't throw legally, then they are gaining and advantage. Among other things, I coach golf. If a player picks up their ball before marking it, they have violated the rules. I once had a young lady pick up a sand rake with her club and so, the club touched the sand in the trap as she did so. That violates the rules. It doesn't matter what any other opinion is. How is this any different?

So, then I wonder why they violate the rules? I read here that it isn't mechanics. How can that be? They are violating the rules and are incapable of throwing within the rules. How is that not a mechanic? Hey, I'm not very smart and so, I'll leave this up to you all who are.

Dec 20, 2012
I'm not understanding this argument. The rules say that what these pitchers were doing is illegal. So, if they can't throw legally, then they are gaining and advantage. Among other things, I coach golf. If a player picks up their ball before marking it, they have violated the rules. I once had a young lady pick up a sand rake with her club and so, the club touched the sand in the trap as she did so. That violates the rules. It doesn't matter what any other opinion is. How is this any different?

So, then I wonder why they violate the rules? I read here that it isn't mechanics. How can that be? They are violating the rules and are incapable of throwing within the rules. How is that not a mechanic? Hey, I'm not very smart and so, I'll leave this up to you all who are.

That is perfect logic, I agree. My gripe is that if you are not gonna call IP's then change the rule. That's all.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Slignit, I agree. Until then, it is a rule so enforce it. I hate umpires calling strikes on pitches that are balls. The K-Zone has demonstrated how poorly these umpires are at doing that. I hate that umpires look the other way instead of enforcing a rule. I love umpires who show up, do their jobs and enforce the book. Who can argue with that? Fortunately, I have know many Umpires that do that.

Jan 24, 2011
The NCAA by not enforcing their own rules are allowing teams to be competitive that otherwise would struggle. Enforcing the rule would take pitchers like Carda out of the circle. Had IP's been called in the WCWS Carda and UCLA would have gone 2 and BBQ.

Most people (me included) really don't care if they call the IP. The games have been competitive and entertaining.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
To make my point about the K-zone, did anyone just see the second strike called on the lefty Michigan player? It was WAY outside according to k-Zone. WAY OUTSIDE.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Most people (me included) really don't care if they call the IP. The games have been competitive and entertaining.

And I have been just the opposite. It irritates me that IPs are being overlooked. Of course I am a hitting coach and so, I do perceive that the pitcher gains an advantage. LOL

Jan 24, 2011
WWE wrestling is also entertaining and the officiating appears quite similar.

and.....it still makes money too. I choose to just watch these games and not try to pick them apart. The non calls on IP don't seem to be hurting the sport. But , IMO , in the past when they called a ton , it made for an ugly game

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi