IP on UCLA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I would argue that the contortion is more common than the flex. There is leaping and then there is LEAPING. Fix the defect and the LEAPING issue goes away.

I think we all see the contortion moves and know that a replant is involved immediately so the Silkwoods and Cardas of the world stick in our minds, but I review a lot of game footage and there are many more leapers than non leapers, some with very smoothed mechanics otherwise. Sure they only come off an inch, but they do come off and therefore it is a leap. I think this is the leaping and LEAPING difference you are talking about. The leapers are really just an extended ankle away from being legal, the LEAPERS would need a complete reconstruction of how they throw.

Dec 20, 2012
and.....it still makes money too. I choose to just watch these games and not try to pick them apart. The non calls on IP don't seem to be hurting the sport. But , IMO , in the past when they called a ton , it made for an ugly game

All the more reason to do away with the rule altogether. If it is a better product with leaping and replanting, then so be it and make it legal. But when you pick and choose which pitches, games or series you are going to enforce the rule then it is not about the rule any longer it's about the all mighty $$$$.

Jan 24, 2011
All the more reason to do away with the rule altogether. If it is a better product with leaping and replanting, then so be it and make it legal. But when you pick and choose which pitches, games or series you are going to enforce the rule then it is not about the rule any longer it's about the all mighty $$$$.

I agree 100% that there needs to be a rule change just for the simple fact that there is no consistency in how it is called. Either umpires don't see it the same way or some just flat out refuse to call it. I don't however believe that umpires are mandated as to when/when not to call it.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I agree 100% that there needs to be a rule change just for the simple fact that there is no consistency in how it is called. Either umpires don't see it the same way or some just flat out refuse to call it. I don't however believe that umpires are mandated as to when/when not to call it.

There have been hundreds if not thousands of pitches thrown, many of them blatantly illegal, yet not a single IP has been called?. How then do you explain the complete lack of enforcement? All umpires are blind and cannot see it? All umpires are acting independently are refusing not to call it? A freakish combination of the two? It is hard to reconcile that there has not been some type of directive.

Dec 20, 2012
Cyclone, not sure I can agree with that 100%. Maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist! lol I don't think they are told to not call it but I can see them being told to keep games going and not hold up play. But the 6 minutes taken for tv commercials when taking/leaving the field(also for the almighty $$) blows that out of the water!

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
There have been hundreds if not thousands of pitches thrown, many of them blatantly illegal, yet not a single IP has been called?. How then do you explain the complete lack of enforcement? All umpires are blind and cannot see it? All umpires are acting independently are refusing not to call it? A freakish combination of the two? It is hard to reconcile that there has not been some type of directive.

I don't know the exact reasons and really I don't care. There has probably been some sort of directive , but I don't think it varies from series to series. It may be some blanket directive across the sport , and if that is the case , the rule should just be changed because they already know its not effective. I just know that I prefer to watch the game when they aren't calling them. Its just more entertaining and that's really what softball still needs

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Not sure I can agree with that 100%. Maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist! lol I don't think they are told to not call it but I can see them being told to keep games going and not hold up play.

Not sure how that really differs from an outright directive. I could see if there were only a few called. It is beyond me how can any BU stand on the same field with Carda and others throwing 100+ pitches and not call a single IP? Someone is pulling their strings.

Jan 24, 2011
Not sure how that really differs from an outright directive. I could see if there were only a few called. It is beyond me how can any BU stand on the same field with Carda and others throwing 100+ pitches and not call a single IP? Someone is pulling their strings.

Well , to be quite honest, if I were the BU , I probably wouldn't call them either. But , that's just me. I mean can you imagine what the game would look like if it were called every pitch or even every third pitch. Not very entertaining. Would the pitchers eventually adjust? Yes they would. But as much as softball has gained , it would quickly be less interesting while they were going through these pains

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2012

If you get a POed ump that goes to the press somewhere down the road and tells the world he/she was told "not to call IP's" there would be severe backlash. But if they are told "hey, let's keep the games going, you understand?" with it being implied not to call IP's. Then the NCAA has a defense of umps misunderstanding the statement. But I'm with you on this, they don't want them called regardless how it was relayed to the umps.

Jan 20, 2011
. +1 so close, I'd toss you a lime on that one. Maybe that's just a west coast expression.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi