Intervening Play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The point of the rule is that with less than two outs in this lone, rare situation the runner from third would not be placed back on his "time of pitch" base. It's not really addressing whether or not the run scores when there are two outs (it doesn't), as the misinformed poster on the LL forum is claiming.

I can only guess that it's because on this play any subsequent interference by the batter-runner would have had zero effect on play at home. The runner has already crossed the plate and the defense has already had their unimpeded chance to retire him.

It's an oddball situation that I can honestly say I have never seen come up in any game.

Why TOP? Why not TOI?

Jul 28, 2008
Well it turns out that the original poster is eating some crow right now. He has posted the following. Thanks to those here that posted and backed up my thoughts.

I've got.....

GOOD NEWS and BAD NEWS

The good news is, this question really generated some good discussion, and I feel that everyone learned something from it (Including, and maybe most importantly... me). This makes me feel I should continue the "Batman's Heads Up Rules" series (The idea is to learn)... So I will (with your permission).

The BAD NEWS... is, it appears that I have 'Misinterpreted' (Notice I didn't use the 'W' word) the INTERVENING PLAY rule (exception), and I feel responsible for misleading some on this board. I plan on correcting that now, and will do a bit more research before making any/my rules interpretations in the future.

I haven't heard back for Evans as yet, but I'm confident that I was incorrect in my initial interpretation of the IP, and indicating that Jim taught the rule that way. So here goes, and I apologize for the confusion... however, you know what, I feel my original interpretation works better than the official one. JMHO... Oh well...

2012-1 REVISION:

The correct answer to the question (I hope ) posted in 2012-1 is;

The run DOES NOT SCORE because of Rule 4.09(a). The INTERVENING PLAY determines if a run will score with less that 2 OUTS when the Br interferes or is called out on Appeal.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
And Richie Garcia countered by saying, yeah, maybe I should have just given him a double. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan