Interference question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013

Maybe I am misunderstanding #2. Are you guys saying that if a ball is coming to a fielder, a runner is advancing to the next base and she runs in front of the fielder just before the ball arrives then that is interference? Let's set the stage a little better, SS is playing deep with runners on on 1st and 2nd. Ball is hit to SS, she charges as the runner is running to third base. Runner is almost hit by the ball and SS is distracted, by what I have read in your posts this seems to be iinterference. Is it? Is clapping your hands or yelling iinterferenceif a player is about to catch a ball?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
Thanks for the replies. As someone stated it was in the 10U game so they did have some of the lesser umps. This tournament site usually has great umps and our 14U games did.

Mar 15, 2014

Maybe I am misunderstanding #2. Are you guys saying that if a ball is coming to a fielder, a runner is advancing to the next base and she runs in front of the fielder just before the ball arrives then that is interference? Let's set the stage a little better, SS is playing deep with runners on on 1st and 2nd. Ball is hit to SS, she charges as the runner is running to third base. Runner is almost hit by the ball and SS is distracted, by what I have read in your posts this seems to be iinterference. Is it? Is clapping your hands or yelling iinterferenceif a player is about to catch a ball?

It depends, but normally not.
If the runner purposely slows down or stops in front of the ball so as to block the fielders view and then speeds up with the intent of hiding the ball from the fielder the umpire could call interference--but it would have to be fairly obvious.
If the umpire felt that she was doing her best to just avoid being struck with the batted ball then he would most likely give her the benefit of the doubt.
As to yelling--N.H.F.S. does include verbal interference in the rulebook--not sure about ASA or the other codes.
Clapping hands--no, but at the higher levels the clapper can expect one thrown near her head on her next turn at bat.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
With regard to situation #1 in the OP....this is not nothing. At the HS and ASA level, almost any contact between runners and fielders is either interference or obstruction. The concept of "incidental contact" is not to be widely ruled. NCAA rules, by interpretation, allow for more leeway in this situation.

Any of these situation could or could not be interference. It is a judgement call by the umpire on the field as to whether the actions of the baserunner hindered or confused the fielder. This could also be dependent of the level of play as well. What maight be called as interference at 10u may not be considered interference at 18u.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I have a followup. We had a play similar to the OP first scenario. We are 10U rec and here is what happened.

Pop-up to F4, R1 collides with F4 as she is reaching over her head to try and catch the ball - given the level of play no sure thing a catch would be made but it was possible. BU rules interference on runner who is called out. I 100% agree with the call no argument at all and tell my parents to be quiet and explain to R1 why she was out.

My question is this, since it was a popup and R1 collided with F4 while attempting a catch should it have been ruled a double play, that is runner out for interference and batter out because runner interference caused no catch?

Had BU ump ruled a DP he would have gotten no argument from me but I was wondering what should the correct ruling in this case be? That is 1 out or 2?

Jun 22, 2008
Only if the umpire determined the interference to be an attempt to break up a double play. When interference occurs, the ball is dead immediatly, the runner committing the interference is out and the batter/runner is awarded 1st base.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Only if the umpire determined the interference to be an attempt to break up a double play. When interference occurs, the ball is dead immediatly, the runner committing the interference is out and the batter/runner is awarded 1st base.

Thanks that helps. Clearly no intent on the play I described.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I have a followup. We had a play similar to the OP first scenario. We are 10U rec and here is what happened.

Pop-up to F4, R1 collides with F4 as she is reaching over her head to try and catch the ball - given the level of play no sure thing a catch would be made but it was possible. BU rules interference on runner who is called out. I 100% agree with the call no argument at all and tell my parents to be quiet and explain to R1 why she was out.

My question is this, since it was a popup and R1 collided with F4 while attempting a catch should it have been ruled a double play, that is runner out for interference and batter out because runner interference caused no catch?

Had BU ump ruled a DP he would have gotten no argument from me but I was wondering what should the correct ruling in this case be? That is 1 out or 2?

ASA 8.7.L.Exception: If the interference prevents a fielder from catching a routine fly ball, fair or foul, with ordinary effort, the batter is also out.

That would be two.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC