Interference no-call - how to approach the ump

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2013
USSSA rules, 10U tournament pool play game

R1 on 2B and R2 on 1B with a grounder hit directly at F4 who was playing a little behind the basepath. She steps up to field the ball as R2 passes directly in front of her -close enough I couldn't tell if there was contact- and F4 is obviously affected in her ability to field the ball. She bobbles it, so can't tag R2 going by and then the throw is 0.5 sec late to get the batter/runner at first.

I called time and asked the ump what her ruling was on the play (specifically asking if there was interference). At that point, had she said "in my judgment there was no interference" I would have thought it a bad call, but not much you can say. Instead she said "there was no contact, so no interference." I challenged this, saying "contact is not required for an interference call." So she then says, "There was no interference because the runner was in the basepath." This is where I started to get a little hot. I said "That's completely irrelevant -- the fielder has right of way to field a batted ball and the runner has to avoid interfering with her, even if the runner has to leave the basepath." The PU then said "uhhhh, there was no interference." I asked her to see if the BU saw anything different, and to her credit she asked. He appeared not to have been watching -- I suppose he was watching R1 on her way to 3B.

So my question isn't so much "was there interference?" since that's obviously a judgment/YHTBT call. My question is how should I have approached this to maximize my chances (however slim) of a successful appeal? Then, once the PU misapplied two critical rules regarding interference, what are my options? As I said up front, had she started off with "my judgment was no interference" there's nothing I could do (can't protest a judgment call) -- but once she started BS-ing her reasons for the no-call counter to the rules (unless I am incorrect), should I have clarified that her position was that there was no interference because of "no contact" or "runner was in the basepath" and then protested that? If a protest isn't the right way, is that just one of those times you have to eat it and play on?

As it was, I got mad, made some rather loud and not helpful side comments, and probably expanded the strike zone for my batters by a foot or so in every direction for the rest of the game. Certainly THAT wasn't the best way to handle it... so was she wrong in her reasoning (or at least her explanation)? If so, what could I / should have done?

Jun 22, 2008
You approached the plate umpire about the call? If so, you talked to the wrong umpire, baserunner calls belong to the base umpire and even though the base umpire should have been over in the C position behind SS they should have had a pretty decent look at how close the runner got to F4.

As for the rest of it, umpire judgement is not protestable, but once they made a comment about there was no contact or the runner was in the baseline then you possibly have a basis for protest. Losing your cool and making side comments will never help anything.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I think having a better attitude about umpires would be helpful.

Not saying you were terrible, but as Comp pointed out, you got hot and made loud side comments. You also described the umpire's explanation as BS, which implies she was making it up to save face when in fact she might simply be mistaken about the rule. And then you suggested the plate umpire might or did cheat you out of spite by widening the strike zone to punish you for making those side comments. Sounds like you don't respect umpires very much. Which, if true, is sensed by your players, which creates another problem.

May 29, 2013
OK, I wasn't quite THAT bad...

I appreciate the quick feedback. I was not at all riled up when I first asked about the call and would have completely accepted a basic "not in my judgment, coach" response. I also readily accept that I didn't handle the PU's changing explanations as well as I should have (while I never raised my voice or used disrespectful language, I also didn't just let it go and move on). I am trying to learn from the mistake.

One thing I certainly didn't know is how the two umpires work together. I always thought the PU ran the show with the BU sort of backing up. The PU made the safe call at 1B, so I assumed that was my point of appeal. Thanks for the explanation.

I usually go out of my way to be polite with umpires. I quickly learned my lesson a few years back after being pressed into calling a rec game because the scheduled umpire didn't show up. It turns outs it's a LOT harder than I thought (heck I was second-guessing my own calls) and gave me a huge amount of respect for umpires in general. I think every coach and maybe a few parents should spend a few innings behind the plate to see how hard it is.

Jun 22, 2008
Sounds like you may have had some fairly new or inexperienced umpires if the plate ump is making safe/out calls at 1st base.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I was just giving you my unfiltered first reaction to your post. I realize it was highly judgmental, but sometimes that's more helpful to than a measured response, even if it's off base. Just food for thought. The question is a good one. A coach who knows these rules and the protocol can really help his/her team. I have a lot to learn myself on that subject.

Sounds like you may have had some fairly new or inexperienced umpires if the plate ump is making safe/out calls at 1st base.

Have umpires in our league for the last 3 or4 years that still don't understand the rule. Initially you handled it well, just make sure you talk to the umpire who made the call, in these situations where the umpire obviously does not know the rule, I usually wait until after the game and then explain the rule to them and ask them to get back with me next time after consulting the rulebook (works in league games...not really gonna work for tournaments) also I usually track down the UIC and tell him what I observed and maybe he could make it a point of emphasis.

Look at it this way at least as the fielder is scooping the ball up there was not contact and then the wonderful...obstruction call on your fielder since it was in the base path....then you might have had to watch from the parking lot.

Final note while some of the good umps on this board will protest otherwise don't expect interference calls without contact, always go out and emphasize to the ump that contact is not required then calmly go back to the bench it's about all you can do.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Regardless of the call or game situation, always approach the blue in a calm, respectful manner. Hear him/her out completely and say ok, thank you...In my experience they dont get this very often and will love you for it. I'd bet anything you'll start getting more favorable calls as the game continues!

May 17, 2012
I have found the best way to approach an umpire crew is to start with the question, "So which one of you is the designated driver?".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs