Interference call today

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Bases loaded. One out. Ground ball to SS. Umpire rules interference on runner headed to third. Rules runner out. Run is allowed to score. Coach argues that runner should return to third. UIC is requested, and he backs the umpire's call.

Who was right?

Dec 7, 2011
No idea since umpires are all over the board on this these days.

Example - Pool game Thursday our SS hesitates on charging a ball and does not make the play as she was shy on the runner coming from 2nd going to 3rd. Our HC yells at her to next time run into the runner as they have to get out of the way of the defensive play.

Later in bracket play our SS ignores the runner coming from 2nd and in the process of fielding the ball makes contact with the runner coming from 2nd. In the confusion the runner from second continues on home to score - which we all thought was out on the contact,.... NOPE....

Just amazed by the bipolar ruling on this.....

Jun 22, 2008
Interference is immediate dead ball runner who committed interference is out, batter runner is awarded first bas and any other runners return to last base touched at the time of the interference unless forced to advance by the batter runner being awarded 1st base.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2009
Bases loaded. One out. Ground ball to SS. Umpire rules interference on runner headed to third. Rules runner out. Run is allowed to score. Coach argues that runner should return to third. UIC is requested, and he backs the umpire's call.

Who was right?
Speaking ASA/NFHS, INT is an immediate Dead Ball
R who committed INT is OUT
BR is awarded 1B
Any runners forced to due to BR getting 1B advance to the next base.

In this case (R1 on 3B, R2 on 2B, R3 on 1B), R2 is out for INT, BR is awarded 1B, R3 is awarded 2B, R1 should have been returned to 3B with 2 outs.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio

Who was right?

Don't know. You didn't say where the runner from third was when the interference occurred.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Speaking ASA/NFHS, INT is an immediate Dead Ball
R who committed INT is OUT
BR is awarded 1B
Any runners forced to due to BR getting 1B advance to the next base.

In this case (R1 on 3B, R2 on 2B, R3 on 1B), R2 is out for INT, BR is awarded 1B, R3 is awarded 2B, R1 should have been returned to 3B with 2 outs.

OK. So sounds like the rule was not applied correctly in the scenario in question. Runner going home should have been returned to third base.

Don't know. You didn't say where the runner from third was when the interference occurred.

I don't recall. So is it a judgment call as to whether fielder could've gotten a forceout at home? Or are you essentially asking whether the runner had already crossed home? She had not.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I love it...this is almost like talking to a coach right on the field...

Where was the runner?

I don't recall.

Has she crossed home yet?

No.

But I thought you said you didn't recall where she was!

I wasn't asking because it had anything to do with a force out. It has everything to do about the run scoring or not. If she had crossed the plate before the act of interference, then the run would score. If not, then she goes back to third.

Mar 2, 2013
No idea since umpires are all over the board on this these days.

Example - Pool game Thursday our SS hesitates on charging a ball and does not make the play as she was shy on the runner coming from 2nd going to 3rd. Our HC yells at her to next time run into the runner as they have to get out of the way of the defensive play.

Later in bracket play our SS ignores the runner coming from 2nd and in the process of fielding the ball makes contact with the runner coming from 2nd. In the confusion the runner from second continues on home to score - which we all thought was out on the contact,.... NOPE....

Just amazed by the bipolar ruling on this.....

Each play is different. Coaches tend to miss key information on these plays. A case in point is the initial play in the thread. The play neglects to mention a vital piece of information. And it isn't absent because someone forgot to write it. It is absent because the person didn't even know it was relevant.

This is one of the reasons I let coaches explain to me what they saw before I chime in with my version of events. 90%+ of the time the coach sinks himself. Examples would include, "She didn't even contact her" when they can't understand that there is interference nonetheless, "She was just reaching for the ball" or "She was about to catch the ball (most codes) when they can't understand that it is obstruction, or "The batters swung after the ball hit her" when they don't get that the ball is dead at contact.

Mar 26, 2013
How about this?
Where was the runner?

Live ball territory.
How precise of an answer did you want? Would longitude/latitude coordinates been acceptable?

I suspect CB doesn't recall exactly where the runner was between 3B and home at the instant IF occurred, just that she was somewhere in between. He would have responded with just the info you needed if you had asked a better question.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32