Interference Call Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
F3 was not in posession of the ball and hindred the batter/runners progress. Textbook obstruction, defensive players not in posession of the ball may not hinder offensive runners.

Comp thanks for the explanation on one, I've learned something new, always a good thing.

On this one I'm not trying to be obtuse but doesn't the fielder have a right to field the ball? Does this not extend to trying to catch a throw from another fielder? I mean I've seen a lot of throws over the years sail up the 1B line towards HP side and the 1B's natural reaction is often to try and catch it and swipe tag the runner - at least if they are a good 1B that's what they'll do. I can't ever recall seeing this called obstrution unless the throw was so horrible the 1B had less than zero change to get a glove near it.

edit: oops should have read SoCal... first, I think he clears this up that 1B came off the bag into path of runner so I'm now assuming throw was awful and 1B did obstruct.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
On this one I'm not trying to be obtuse but doesn't the fielder have a right to field the ball? Does this not extend to trying to catch a throw from another fielder? I mean I've seen a lot of throws over the years sail up the 1B line towards HP side and the 1B's natural reaction is often to try and catch it and swipe tag the runner - at least if they are a good 1B that's what they'll do. I can't ever recall seeing this called obstrution unless the throw was so horrible the 1B had less than zero change to get a glove near it.

edit: oops should have read SoCal... first, I think he clears this up that 1B came off the bag into path of runner so I'm now assuming throw was awful and 1B did obstruct.

Speaking ASA & NFHS & ISF & NCAA save the possession of ball issue.

The fielder only has a right to field a batted ball. As much as some people try to justify one thing or another, if the fielder is not in possession of the ball or fielding a batted ball, it is OBS. Umpires who do not call it are either, not a good umpire, interjecting their own opinion to ignore the rule or just don't understand the rule. In the NCAA game, the "about to receive" the ball is still in place. That basically means as long as the ball gets to the defender prior to the runner, all is good.

There is no down side to making an OBS call. It is not punitive nor does it stop the action.

May 30, 2011
Thanks for the info. Just seemed a bit weird awarding the base to a runner that would have been an easy out. But, they did get the lead runner out because of the interference call.
thanks again

Exactly. If R1 had done what she is supposed to do, that is to avoid the fielder who is in the act of making the initial play on a batted ball, then F2 would have had an easy play on B2 at 1B. Result: one out R1 at 2B. But because of the interference by R1, the result is one out and B2 at 1B.

This is assuming that F2 was not in the judgement of the umpire about to make a routine double play. If the umpire did judge that the interference took away a ligit double play the umpire can rule two out: the runner who committed the interference and the runner closest to home which in this play would have been the batter-runner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck