Interesting rule interpretation by umpire

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Had a strange play at Western Regionals on Sunday where a hard hit ground ball lightly glanced off a BR's back foot as she was going from 1B to 2B. Both 3F and 4F were playing in close, with 3F over half way up the line on bunt coverage and 4F playing inside the line about 10 feet off of 1B. The HPU did not immediately call the runner out due to being contacted by the ball, but had a conference with the field ump after the play was over. After a brief deliberation, they called her out, not for being contacted by the ball, but for runners interference. He said she was out because it altered the trajectory of the ball so that the right fielder did not have an opportunity to make a play. One of our coaches, who is a rule-book nerd (haha if he's reading this!) immediately protested. He was certain that the way the rule is written, the runner is only out when contacted by the ball off the bat AND the BR is IN FRONT of the infielders. I've never heard of that. I always thought the BR was out if contacted by the ball off the bat in fair territory, without exception. Anyone know of nuances to the rule regarding being contacted by a batted ball in fair territory?

Jun 11, 2013
As long as the ball was past the last infielder who had a chance to field the ball the runner should not be out. The only exception as far as I know is if she let it hit her.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Hmmm. So he was right after all. He's usually really laid back, but he got a little fired up over that call. Thanks, canyonjoe.

Jun 22, 2008
The rule actually states no other fielder has an opportunity to make an out. So, if the umpires felt the ball was hit hard enough F9 had a legitimate chance at making an out, then a dead ball out call on the runner being hit by the ball could be justified. So how did the protest turn out?

Jun 11, 2013
I looked it up and agree with Comp. I will say that almost every time a player is hit with a batter ball they are called out, but I think your coach was likely right. I too would like to see how the protest turned out.

Jun 11, 2013
ASA Rule 8-7-K, THE RUNNER IS OUT.
"When a runner is struck with a fair untouched batted ball while not in contact with a base and before it passes another infielder excluding the pitcher, or if it passes an infielder and another fielder has an opportunity to make an out." The latter part applies to your play. Your umpire judged that another fielder had an opportunity to make an out after the batted ball passed an infielder.

FYI, ASA Rule 8-8-D, RUNNER IS NOT OUT.
"When a runner is hit with a fair, untouched batted ball that has passed an infielder, excluding the pitcher, and, in the umpire's judgment no other fielder had an opportunity to make an out."

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Thanks for the rule citation, c-j. That's crystal clear, imho. Now, regarding whether or not the RF had an opportunity to make the play, that's entirely subjective. I don't think she had any chance, even if the ball had not touched the runner. For one reason: it's 10U and that particular RF doesn't have a strong arm. Obviously, the HPU didn't see it that way.

As for the "protest", we did not file an official protest of the call, if that's what you mean. Our coach argued with him for a minute after the play, then vigorously tore through the rule book to justify his position when the inning was over. He got over it pretty quickly.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I'm questioning the interference call. If it was deflected off a BU who was in fair territory it would be played as-is. This sounds the same to me, or the same as a bad hop. It's not intentional, it just happened.

Several years ago, DD hit a 2-out single to RF that the right fielder bobbled so DD started to take 2B but the coach held her to 1B. the scorekeeper scored it an error. Since then I am always skeptical of coaches/umpires/scorekeepers overestimating the abilities of outfielders.

Jun 22, 2008
I'm questioning the interference call. If it was deflected off a BU who was in fair territory it would be played as-is. This sounds the same to me, or the same as a bad hop. It's not intentional, it just happened.

Completely different rule covers umpires. Umpires are part of the field, runners are not. The rule is very clear, if any other fielder has an opportunity to make an out the runner should be called out. Now, being 10U I seriously doubt F9 had a legitimate opportunity to make an out.

Jun 24, 2013
I would agree that in 10U she should not have been out. Unless of course she purposely kicked the ball, or was looking at the ball as it hit her. I would have argued that if she had to wait until the ball passed her before running, then she was effectively being held back by the umpires the same as if it were a fly ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand