Interesting conversation...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I coach 7th grade FP, and the 8th grade HC and I work our teams together for practices. Last night we had the pitchers going, and I took some time from fielding drills to watch. 8th has one pretty good pitcher (by that I mean she has OK velocity, OK accuracy, and terrible technique - all things are relative here) and one backup.

Anyway, after practice the backup and I were talking about working at home and such, and she tells me that when she throws hard (which she doesn't, and this is why), her hand and forearm naturally roll over instead of being palm up with a HE finish, and she wants to finish HE like she's been shown. She looked at me like I was nuts when I got all excited and told her that's exactly what should happen. "But should I finish like this?" to the HE finish. "No, no, no, no," I tell her. "Everyone who has shown you that is wrong." I laid it on a little thick, mostly get break through any mental barrier she had up about it.

I think I'll start her on the Lock It In drill tonight, see what happens. Just wanted to share!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It might be hard to do but ..

I would try to locate some instructors in your area that you are comfortable with and recommend them to the players that seem interested in getting better after your season is over.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
The only thing she has "down" is that the ball should go in the general direction of the catcher. I will spell it out: she appears to have a natural IR motion that she is fighting against.

We will start with lock it in and see what we have.

Sep 29, 2014
The only thing she has "down" is that the ball should go in the general direction of the catcher. I will spell it out: she appears to have a natural IR motion that she is fighting against.

We will start with lock it in and see what we have.

Have her watch this video and pay attention to the :31/:32 sec point and let her know she is OK...then just keep working with her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avcEmdxuc30

Jul 10, 2011
If she has that down why are you wasting time on that drill? You have to be careful with arm overuse. Move on to the next thing if she has it.

Tony Gwynn spent his entire Hall of Fame career hitting off a tee. I wonder why none of his coaches ever told him to stop using that drill and move on to something else?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG