Interacting with Umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
In a typical game how much interaction do you have with Umpires? Do you yell or offer them advice during the game, like that pitch was low? Do you talk to them between lineup changes, just saying hi?

If they make a “bad” call do you just shrunk your shoulders, yell something at them to get it off your chest, or go out on the field and “discuss” it with them.

I know this is a really general question but I have been told I do not interact with umpires as well as I should so am looking for some advice.

Jul 26, 2010
One thing you have to keep in mind is that umpires are humans and that they are not perfect. In many cases, they are umpiring because they love the sport, and are still learning, just as our players and coaches are.

If I think a call is wrong, or if I don't understand why a particular call is made, I will call time and discuss it. Often I will ask for an appeal, even if I don't think it will matter. Never have I ever walked onto the field thinking that I was going to get a call overturned. I find that the discussions are enlightening and can either help me learn more or often help the umpire learn more.

The side effect to all of this is that the parents, who usually belong locked up in cages and not in public and certainly not around children, think that you, the coach, are going out there to "fight" for your team. If you just sit on your bucket and shrug, your parents will think that you are impotent. The parents would probably like you to yell, kick, and scream, but this is poor sportsmanship and you are out there to serve as a role-model to young ladies, not as a poisonous appendage of a lunatic parental unit.

That's my $.02

-W

Mar 15, 2010
Ways of speaking that don't work with umpires: yelling at them, sarcastic comments/noises/motions, suggesting that their lineage involves an unmarried woman, storming out of the dugout screaming that the call was the worst you have ever seen.

Ways of speaking that work with umpires: introducing yourself during the coin flip, making small talk such as how many games do they have during the day, offering them water on hot and cold days, calling time when you are still in the dugout and waiting until it is granted and then asking/appealing a play or call, shaking hands with them after the game, every ump at every tournament I have been at knows which are the problem coaches/teams.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I would not yell at the umpire unless you want to get tossed out of the game. If you show them respect, they will show you respect. A well umpired game is similar to having dinner in a restaurant, if you haven't really noticed that the wait staff was there, they have probably done their job well and seamlessly.

In general, if its a judgment call like balls and strikes, as a coach I barely say anything. If there is a ruling on the field, you may ask for "time" and discuss the ruling so that you understand why the call was made. Umpires will make errors, its part of the game, don't let it effect your team's morale.

The umpire is not your (or the opposing coaches) friend. You say Hi to them at the beginning of the game and say Thank You when the game ends. There should be very little interaction between the coaches and the umpires, other than what has been previously stated.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Do what I did - since I used to be a lot like you - become an umpire. If you don't want to do that, read and know the rule book before you open your mouth. The umpire is there to do a job, not babysit a general pain in the rear who doesn't know the difference between judgment calls (not disputable) and rules interpretations (disputable).

Nov 18, 2009
I going to offer my very unpopular opinion. The umps around here get paid $40 a game that most often have a 1 hour and 40 minute time limit. this makes it a decent paying job. If I screw up at work you better believe I'm going to hear about it so i see no reason why a coach can't let an ump know about it when they make a poor call.

Jul 9, 2010
I talk to them all the time during games when I'm coaching first, and ones that have been around awhile, I talk to between games. It doesn't get me any calls, nor would I expect it to.

I had a fella tell me last weekend that he has enjoyed watching my DD grow up. He was the home plate umpire in our first 12U game, and he has followed her since. He was asking me about her college plans. Thats is just a nice person to know.

I always introduce myself in the beginning, make sure I go out of my way to say thanks at the end (regardless of how it went), and make small talk in the middle. As someone else said, I ask for time, then ask politely for appeals. Sometimes, between innings, I'll go talk about a call that I didn't appeal, or a rule that came up that I wasn't clear on.

In general, the Golden Rule applies.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I going to offer my very unpopular opinion. The umps around here get paid $40 a game that most often have a 1 hour and 40 minute time limit. this makes it a decent paying job. If I screw up at work you better believe I'm going to hear about it so i see no reason why a coach can't let an ump know about it when they make a poor call.

Really? Your boss comes into your general work area, makes disparaging remarks to you in front of everyone within earshot and basically challenges you to talk back? You have a real rear for a boss who obviously has no management or people skills.

Does your boss know your job or want to do your job? Does your boss want to be a friend thinking that will gain influence over you in the future? Do you get an apology from your boss when s/he discovers that you were right, in the same environment and audio level in which the dressing down came? Do you get an annual/seasonal bonus for a job well done or for overtime? Do you get vacation and retirement, among other benefits?

Give me your phone number and location and I'll pass it along to the local umpire association in your area. They will love meeting you. :)

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I never so much as shrug on a judgement call. I will question a rule
on occasion when I think the ump may not have been in position to see
the same thing as me (obstruction, interference) I will mention to BU
when I see a pitcher leaping and it is not called. These occasions are rare,
I normally offer them a drink, make small talk and exchange pleasantries.
I have seen the yellers (bosox) never does a close call go to the coach
who screams at 'blue' so why bother screaming? After a day of bad calls
goes against us (it happens to everyone) I go home and have a cold one,
no reason to rant.

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
When we first started playing tournament ball, I was convinced that everyone got "hometown" calls except my team (7/8yr olds playing 10u). I was always ready to "go to war" for my girls, us against the world, always had to beat 11, blah, blah, blah...
I began keeping a list of "questionable" calls both for and against our team, and came to realize that by the end of the day it pretty much evened out.
As the girls and I have matured, we have become a team that most of the umps say they enjoy calling games for and a team that doesn't rattle when a call doesn't go our way.
As far as "how to interact", common courtesy. You have to remember that no matter what call is made, half the people are gonna be mad about it...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd