Intentionally throwing at a base runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
You are going to reward the catcher for purposely throwing at the runner? And as I have stated, the case plays indicate the throw must actually be catchable, in the op the ball was purposely thrown down at the runners legs. Is that a catchable ball by the defense?

And no, it is not an automatic out. It is the umpire's judgement as to if the runner interfered with the defenses ability to receive the throw.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Comp, as I said, I agree with you and yes the throw has to be catchable. It is just always easier when we use 'rule book language'. AFAIK 'quality throw' isn't in any of the rule books and you know the coaches, they will always latch on to whatever isn't in the rule book when we explain something....

Aug 25, 2019
You are going to reward the catcher for purposely throwing at the runner? And as I have stated, the case plays indicate the throw must actually be catchable, in the op the ball was purposely thrown down at the runners legs. Is that a catchable ball by the defense?

And no, it is not an automatic out. It is the umpire's judgement as to if the runner interfered with the defenses ability to receive the throw.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
So are you saying that if the runner is not in the running lane, the catcher has to move to get a better angle for a throw to first?

Aug 25, 2019
Situation: No one on base. Batter hits a dribbler in front of the plate. Catcher picks it up and starts to chase the batter who is running next to but not in the 1B running lane and is directly between the catcher and first baseman. After a second or or so she realized she could not catch the batter/runner so the catcher stops and intentionally throws the ball(pretty hard) down and right into the batter/runners legs causing the batter/runner to fall into the running lane as she was approaching 1B and was about to enter the lane. The ball rolls out of play. What is the correct call?
And to answer the original post, if the batter-runner is not in the running lane yet ( more than 30 feet from first) and gets hit by the catcher and the ball goes out of bounds, I believe the batter-runner would get 2nd base.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
And to answer the original post, if the batter-runner is not in the running lane yet ( more than 30 feet from first) and gets hit by the catcher and the ball goes out of bounds, I believe the batter-runner would get 2nd base.
THis occurred in a U14 game I was watching last year. The catcher claimed the ball slipped and the umpire said it did not look that way to him and his judgement will stand. He awarded the batter 2B. The opposition coach was furious and nearly got his team thrown out.

Mar 28, 2014
THis occurred in a U14 game I was watching last year. The catcher claimed the ball slipped and the umpire said it did not look that way to him and his judgement will stand. He awarded the batter 2B. The opposition coach was furious and nearly got his team thrown out.
I hate when umpire get into the mind reading business.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
So are you saying that if the runner is not in the running lane, the catcher has to move to get a better angle for a throw to first?

No, the catcher does not need to adjust before making the throw, she just has to make a throw that, absent hitting the runner, would have been catchable by the fielder.

Mar 28, 2014
The umpire didn't presume tp read minds, He stated what he saw or didn't see. I hate it when people attribute things to umpires that were never said......
You know that he presumed to know the intent of the catcher. Yes it was based on what he saw, but it is still a presumption.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild