Intentionally throwing at a base runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Situation: No one on base. Batter hits a dribbler in front of the plate. Catcher picks it up and starts to chase the batter who is running next to but not in the 1B running lane and is directly between the catcher and first baseman. After a second or or so she realized she could not catch the batter/runner so the catcher stops and intentionally throws the ball(pretty hard) down and right into the batter/runners legs causing the batter/runner to fall into the running lane as she was approaching 1B and was about to enter the lane. The ball rolls out of play. What is the correct call?

Jun 22, 2008
If you judge it to be intentional, coach, you need a new catcher because this one isnt playing in this game any longer.

Not sure by your description of play, but the running lane doesnt start until 1/2 way to first. If the runner wasnt to the lane yet there isnt any chance of it being a running lane violation. Even if the runner was to the running lane but not in it the throw must still be a quality throw that could be caught by the defender covering first in order to be a lane violation. But, if as you said this was intentionally thrown at the batter/runner then the catcher isnt playing anymore in that game.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
@Comp: While I agree with the ruling you make, I would question the use of 'quality throw' when you will undoubtedly have to discuss this with the HC. I suggest rather that (at least in NFHS would need to check the other codes) the you explain that runner did not "interfere with the fielder taking the throw at first base".

Jun 22, 2008
@Comp: While I agree with the ruling you make, I would question the use of 'quality throw' when you will undoubtedly have to discuss this with the HC. I suggest rather that (at least in NFHS would need to check the other codes) the you explain that runner did not "interfere with the fielder taking the throw at first base".
The running lane rule in every ruleset requires the interference to be with the ability of the defense to receive the throw at first base. A ball thrown over the head of the defender, thrown off line or thrown in the dirt is not exactly a catchable ball, so how could the runner have interfered with the ability of the defense to receive the throw. And, if you research the case plays governing the running lane they all indicate the throw must be catchable. I would have no problem telling the coach the throw must be a quality throw and I can back that up with case plays.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Aug 25, 2019
Hmmm, I always understood that if the runner was on the infield side of the foul line within 30 feet of the bag, she is outside of the running lane, and if she gets hit by a thrown ball from the catcher, intentional or not, she is out.