Int?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
ASA

B-R hits soft chopped that F3 is unable to field cleanly.

The ball bounces off body of F3 and rolls into the running lane.

B-R runs into fair territory - crossing in front of F1 - to avoid ball, loses her footing after making contact with F3, and falls before getting to 1B.

F1 is unable to convert the out before B-R crawls to 1B safely.

After umpire conference, B-R is ruled out.

Unfortunately, I don't have the video, but as written, did the umps get the call right? I disagree with the call.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Im taking it the umpire ruled interference on the batter/runner for the out? Who did they rule they interfered with? Based on description, no the call was not correct. Once the ball was booted by F3, the runner would have to do something intentional to interfere. And by ASA clarifications, once F3 booted the ball if the batter/runner was forced to alter course to miss them you now have obstruction.

Feb 3, 2011
Explanation given was that even though she booted the ball, she is still entitled to "a step and an arm's reach".

Jun 22, 2008
Explanation given was that even though she booted the ball, she is still entitled to "a step and an arm's reach".

That is absolutely not an ASA rule, that is NFHS. Once the batted ball is deflected the runner must do something intentional to interfere. Guess Im still missing part of the play explanation. You said the batter/runner ran into fair territory to avoid F3 but in front of F1. Who exactly did they say the batter/ runner interfered with? F3 is the player that booted the ball, even if step and a reach applied it would only apply to F3.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Maybe not a bad call. This is a deflected ball and if the umpire believed the BR could have avoided F3, INT would be the correct call.

While "step and reach" is not an official policy for ASA, it is still often used as a reference.

Jun 22, 2008
I will have to disagree that step and a reach has any reference in ASA rules.

March 2014 plays and clarifications.

PLAY: With R1 on 2B, B2 hits a ground ball to F6 who tries to field the ball and bobbles it. R1, trying to advance to 3B, attempts to get around F6 who is picking up the deflected batted ball. In doing so, R1 bumps F6 advancing to 3B. The umpire calls “dead ball” and calls R1 out for interference because the ball has not passed F6 and F6 still had an opportunity to make an out on B2.
Ruling: Incorrect ruling. If protested correctly, the umpire should reverse his ruling and “obstruction” should be called since this interference was not intentional. When a runner intentionally interferes with any defensive player having the opportunity to make an out with the deflected batted ball, the ball is dead and the runner is out. All other runners must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference. Rule 8, Section 7J[4]

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I will have to disagree that step and a reach has any reference in ASA rules.

I didn't say that. I was referring to umpires using it as a gauge in the decision making aspect of the play

March 2014 plays and clarifications.

PLAY: With R1 on 2B, B2 hits a ground ball to F6 who tries to field the ball and bobbles it. R1, trying to advance to 3B, attempts to get around F6 who is picking up the deflected batted ball. In doing so, R1 bumps F6 advancing to 3B. The umpire calls “dead ball” and calls R1 out for interference because the ball has not passed F6 and F6 still had an opportunity to make an out on B2.
Ruling: Incorrect ruling. If protested correctly, the umpire should reverse his ruling and “obstruction” should be called since this interference was not intentional. When a runner intentionally interferes with any defensive player having the opportunity to make an out with the deflected batted ball, the ball is dead and the runner is out. All other runners must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference. Rule 8, Section 7J[4]

The runner wasn't trying to avoid the defender, but the ball. The runner diverted her path into the defender. I'm going to have a hard time calling OBS on a player who couldn't possibly have known the runner was going to suddenly run at her and initiate contact.

Jun 22, 2008
Step and a reach should have no consideration by any ASA umpire. It is not part of the rules and the rules specifically state once the ball is deflected the runner must do something intentional to be called for interference. The clarification posted repeats exactly that and goes further stating not only is it not interference but should be ruled obstruction. Like it or not, this is what has been put out by ASA and is how they want it called. If I was the coach in the OP the next words out of my mouth after hearing the umpire say step and a reach would have been protest. Based on the clarification unless the umpire judges the runners actions to be intentional, not only is it not interference it should have been ruled obstruction when the runner veered into fair territory in an attempt to get around F3.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Step and a reach should have no consideration by any ASA umpire. It is not part of the rules and the rules specifically state once the ball is deflected the runner must do something intentional to be called for interference. The clarification posted repeats exactly that and goes further stating not only is it not interference but should be ruled obstruction. Like it or not, this is what has been put out by ASA and is how they want it called. If I was the coach in the OP the next words out of my mouth after hearing the umpire say step and a reach would have been protest.

Again, never said step & a reach was part of ASA's interpretation, just that some umpires may use it as a gauge for protection purposes. And I agree, if the umpire avers that was the reason for a ruling, a protest is available.

Based on the clarification unless the umpire judges the runners actions to be intentional, not only is it not interference it should have been ruled obstruction when the runner veered into fair territory in an attempt to get around F3.

But that is my point, the runner wasn't trying to get around F3, but trying to avoid the ball by turning INTO F3

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA