Instructional DVD - 8U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Just because someone posts on here doesn't mean they actually work or teach hitting. Keep that in mind, anyone can read a book, but teaching is an art! When working with any hitting coach, ask them what they show for results. Hitter is they only one above that was mentioned that has produced results and can actually produce names of kids he has worked with. He can now add my kids name to the list of kids that are going to play college softball.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Another way of judging is a good hitting coach that has daughters or sons, they will be the best hitter, or among the best hitters on the team.

Easy to pick up students when you can do it with your own kid, other parents will see the mechanics of the swing and it will just look right to them. Results also help, like SB pointed out.

SL

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
All, does anyone have a recommendation on the best instructional hitting DVD's for my 7 yr old? She's played one year of rec ball and is really motivated to improve. I want to make sure we are doing the right things. Thanks.

Youtube search for isobaseball. Watch "whip effect" part 1&2, and "what causes rotation" part 1 and 2.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
SBFAMILY,
Congrats on your DD success.I to am a copy and paste guy.I have big folders of info from alot of posters.(no names fear of missing someone)I started from the very beginning of this site to the present day and saved.I also save the gifs to CD's.And the best it's all free and priceless to me and my DD.

Oct 19, 2009
SS and SBPh- Holy Cow! I never knew that was there. That is awesome.

I'll add this- The BEST thing I ever did to educate myself was to cut and paste every post I could find by "Hitter" whose name is Howard Carrier. I printed it out and put it in a binder. I studied/study it whenever I could/can. While I did that, I started to see posters who showed up over and over that were obviously well versed in that same philosophy who were also helping people like me who were trying to learn. They made it to the binder too.

Once I figured some of that out, it was amazing to me how many very good coaches subscribe to Hitter's philosophy. Some know where it came from, some don't. You can tell when they start using the same phrases and techniques I see here...

Educating yourself helps you decide who you want teaching your daughter lessons. It will help you sort real instructors out from the hitting coach quacks. They are out there and they charge just as much as the good ones. When you go to get lessons, make sure the instructor teaches you too. What I mean by that is there should be a place where you are out of the way and you can stand or sit and listen. That instructor should be willing to privately answer your questions AFTER the lesson. If it is a half hour lesson, ask him or her to dedicate a few minutes at the end to answering your questions. Take notes. Don't interrupt the lesson though.

I'm not a hitting coach, but my two daughters and their friends have benefited greatly from the people on this forum. Once I learned the basics, we were able to make our practice time much more meaningful and it has translated into results on the field.

I did the same thing I tried to soak up every bit of info I could find from Hitter, IMO you can not find any better info.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
All, does anyone have a recommendation on the best instructional hitting DVD's for my 7 yr old? She's played one year of rec ball and is really motivated to improve. I want to make sure we are doing the right things. Thanks.

Another cheap easy tool is if you have a smart phone is there are several video capture apps for cheap. I use right view pro app, then you can slo mo your childs video next to pro hitters/

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Kinovea is free also.Great for copying and veiwing video.You can put all the fancy lines and colors on if you like.It's what I use to post DD swings with.The videos off of youtube or other sites that I can't save/copy I just set the video camers up on tripod and video right off the computer.I like hard copies of videos I like,but I'm cheap.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009

It cost 2x as much as any other dvds, but it's the only one that I still pop back in the player regularly. It goes into every problem a hitter could have and drills how to fix it. The index is the best part, you can skip right to the problem you have or drill you are looking for. If you can get to a clinic with John it is well worth it. He is one of a few college coaches that excel at teaching players.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi