Injury? Not quite sure.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2013
First, I'd like to apologize in advance for this post if it happens to be extremely long.
I'm a 17 year old high school & travel ball softball player, pitcher and outfielder specifically. We have recently began a very strict high school practice schedule, 6 days a week, and I have been pitching about 4 days a week. Before this began, my travel team was simply practicing one day a week, on Sunday's, and only hitting workouts, due to the weather and area. I began to experience some very harsh arm pain, located around my tricep and deltoid area, of my pitching arm, just while throwing overhand, at any distance. This pain began to move downwards towards my elbow, and covered about my whole elbow, inside and outside of it. I saw the school trainer, who began with heating, then massaging the muscles, and stretching. After the first day of her doing this, the tendon/muscle in the outer area of my elbow, was so sensitive, I couldn't bear to touch it at all. I stopped seeing the trainer after this. (The trainer told me it was simply muscle soreness. I disagree because I did have rotator cuff tendonitiis before, diagnosed by a physical therapist, and it was the same pain.) I limited my overhand throwing severely, and continued my pitching workouts because it never hurt to throw underhand. Now, just two days ago, I began experiencing terrible pain in my elbow and the tricep/deltoid area during UNDERHAND throwing, which is very unusual. The pain is very sharp, almost stabbing and throbbing. I have talked to my dad about this, and I am making an appointment to see a doctor and physical therapist this week. I am just curious if any of you have ever heard of this/know what it is/how to handle it, etc. I greatly appreciate any and all input, as me and my dad are both clueless on what the issue is. Also, I would like to say, I have not dealt with any of this pain, and haven't changed my mechanics underhand, but did slightly overhand. Thanks, Kelly.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
This is definitely an issue that warrants a visit to a doc or an orthopedist and not a hs team trainer... hopefully its only a strain that simply needs some rest. Good luck and let us know what the doc says.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Go to a sports doctor. Asking for medical advice on the Internet is risky at best.

Most likely, you need to rest your arm for a week or two. But, again, go to a doctor and find out for sure what the problem is.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Kelly,

I'm not a doctor, nor did I stay at a Best Western last night so take this as just a couple observartions/suggestions from my experience. When you go to the Doctor you might want to toss out these buzz words for conversation purposes...Pinched Nerve and Bursitis.

My experince tells me that "shooting" pain can be attributed to a pinched nerve; but your pain seems to be localized at the shoulder and elbow. Bursitis can form at joints, sometimes from repetitive uses. I had bursitis in my shoulder which later developed into tears and bone chips. The pain can be excrutiating so don't hesitate, go to your Doctor which might lead to seeing a Neurologist....You will probably end up getting an MRI.

Good Luck with it all and Please keep us posted.

T.J.

Dec 7, 2011
DD had exactly the same situation.

Fixed by:
Rest first - many weeks
See a good sports PT
Fix the mechanical badness in your overhand throw.

After DD at 14 at that time fixed the overhand throw mechanics it never came back.

Mar 28, 2013
Hello again. Just figured I would keep you guys up to date, as I appreciate the input I received. I scheduled a doctors visit, and he suspected it to be tendonitiis in my rotator cuff and simply muscle soreness and inflammation as the high school trainer had said. He put me on two strong doses of an anti-inflammatory as well as restricting any participation in softball for two weeks. I received NO relief at all from the meds, as well as the rest, so when I returned for my follow up, this past Monday, and told him of this, he became suspicious. Also, the fact that I now have constant pain all day long, even at rest, has made it seem serious. He believes I tore the labral tissue in my elbow, as well as having structural damage in my shoulder. He scheduled an MRI, nerve test, and an x-ray, which I will be having this week. He also said that if something should be torn as expected, surgery might be the only option remaining. As of right now, I am out for the rest of my high school season, and out until further notice. I will continue to keep you guys up to date. Thanks for all of your advice! Thanks, Kelly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug