Infield popup spin..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
And it's not just on high popups. How many times have we seen the 8-10ft high chip shot spinner land short of the pitcher's mound and spin back towards foul territory? Then, just as it's about to go foul, the player will pick it up and try to make a play at first, generally too late. With some experience they learn to let it go.

Jun 8, 2016
And it's not just on high popups. How many times have we seen the 8-10ft high chip shot spinner land short of the pitcher's mound and spin back towards foul territory? Then, just as it's about to go foul, the player will pick it up and try to make a play at first, generally too late. With some experience they learn to let it go.
The interesting thing to me was the physical explanation for the different movement directions on the way up and down. You know that from experience (find the fence..) and the explanation makes sense but I just never thought about it before.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Helps me understand why 3rd base and LF run under and past balls hit to their right and over their heads.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The corner outfield positions are the ones that see the most spin effected trajectories. Opposite field hits with lower trajectories will have more side spin, especially on hits where contact is low in the zone. Right fielders in particular are susceptible to overrunning the slicing line drive from a right handed hitter.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
The corner outfield positions are the ones that see the most spin effected trajectories. Opposite field hits with lower trajectories will have more side spin, especially on hits where contact is low in the zone. Right fielders in particular are susceptible to overrunning the slicing line drive from a right handed hitter.
And the ball normally bounces up and at a 45 degree angle away from the fielder.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Something I've long wondered: Do batted balls spin differently in softball vs baseball, either because a pitched ball spins differently (does it? If so, would that even matter?) or because of the trajectory? Or maybe even the size of the ball?

The first thing that made me wonder was the number of times I've seen a softball player foul a pitch off her own facemask. In all my years of playing and watching baseball, I saw a kid foul a ball off his own face one time ever. I see it in softball, at different levels, a few times a year at least. I figured something about the spin at contact could cause this, but maybe not.

To counter that, it does seem like fly balls tend to act the way I expect them to from my baseball experience, so maybe there's no difference.

Nov 18, 2015
Pattar - not sure if this was part of your inspiration for the post (haven’t read the tweets yet), but Antonelli just had a video on this exact issue.

This weeks episode of “how not to play baseball” is brought to you by our long-time sponsor, the NY Mets:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Pattar - not sure if this was part of your inspiration for the post (haven’t read the tweets yet), but Antonelli just had a video on this exact issue.

This weeks episode of “how not to play baseball” is brought to you by our long-time sponsor, the NY Mets:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that was the popup that inspired Nathan’s post.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad