Infield fly rule?!?!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2019
Just to add, base umpires echoing the Infield Fly call is a baseball mechanic. This should NOT happen in softball except in organizations that continue to treat softball and baseball umpire mechanics the same (e.g., Little League).
Ok, can you explain the correct umpire mechanic for softball and direct me to any references where I can learn more? I do a lot of baseball too and the post was originally regarding MLB.

May 22, 2019
No they shouldn't. This an incorrect umpiring mechanic in softball.

That is not the umpires problem. The coaches should know the rule - it isn't exactly new - and as @MTR says, that is part of the coaches job.
Sorry, what is the correct mechanic and where can I find it? Thanks

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina

The correct mechanic in softball is for the PU to signal and call the Infield Fly. BUs are not supposed to do anything. The exception is when the PU has a hard time figuring out that the infielder is going to make an ordinary effort catch, and the BU sees that it will be ordinary and notices the PU hesitating. In that case, the BU can point up to let the PU know it should be called. But the PU is still supposed to give the signal and verbal.

The only time a BU makes the call is if the PU has a complete brain cramp and it’s obvious he/she won’t make the call. Then and only then would the BU give both the signal and verbal.

You need to refer to the umpiring manuals for USA and NFHS, or the CCA Manual for college ball, for the mechanic. I can’t speak for other organizations like USSSA, PONY, or others because I don’t umpire for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

You can see the USA Softball Umpires Manual Here:
Under General responsibilities of the the Plate Umpire Chapter 4 (D) you can see the Infield Fly Responsibility mechanics and responsibilities. There is no Infield Fly responsibilities listed for Base.

The NFHS Softball Umpire Manual wording is literaly copied from the USA Softball Umpires Manual (or the other way around)
Page 27: Plate responsibilities: Infield Fly: Describe making the call and the signal.
Page 67 Signals F (states Plate Umpire is responsible for the call)

May 22, 2019
No they shouldn't. This an incorrect umpiring mechanic in softball.

That is not the umpires problem. The coaches should know the rule - it isn't exactly new - and as @MTR says, that is part of the coaches job.
Of course the coaches should know the rule, but isn't it difficult for a coach to manage a "possible" infield fly? If the players/coaches of either team cannot hear the PU verbalize the call, what's the point? Is everybody on the field supposed to look at the PU to check if he's making the signal? If PU is the only one verbalizing this call, he better be loud!

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
If PU is the only one verbalizing this call, he better be loud!
I can assure you when I'm the PU, everyone hears me when I make the Infield Fly call. The same is true with every umpire I've worked with. Believe me, it doesn't happen too often, so we want everyone to hear us when we can make the call.

This isn't that hard to manage as a coach. You've got runners at second and first at a minimum with less than two outs, and the batter hits a pop fly somewhere that an infielder can make the play. You'd better start listening for the PU to make the call, and also glancing to see if he/she has his/her arm up with the signal.

May 29, 2015
I had to go back and re-read the thread just to refresh my memory on what ground we have or have not covered ...

Devil’s Advocate here ... for those trying to place an onus on the umpires to make sure the coaches and players know what is happening ... why am I coaching your team for you? 😈 I don’t yell any other instructions at your team. I don’t start yelling at your base runner “The outfielder caught/dropped it! You better/better not run!” What are your coaches doing during the Infield Fly?

Pop fly, less than two outs ... runners don’t go anywhere. By the time the ball hits the glove (catch) or ground (no catch) your coaches should have figured it out if your players haven’t.

Just a theoretical mental exercise.

May 22, 2019
I had to go back and re-read the thread just to refresh my memory on what ground we have or have not covered ...

Devil’s Advocate here ... for those trying to place an onus on the umpires to make sure the coaches and players know what is happening ... why am I coaching your team for you? 😈 I don’t yell any other instructions at your team. I don’t start yelling at your base runner “The outfielder caught/dropped it! You better/better not run!” What are your coaches doing during the Infield Fly?

Pop fly, less than two outs ... runners don’t go anywhere. By the time the ball hits the glove (catch) or ground (no catch) your coaches should have figured it out if your players haven’t.

I appreciate that post. Sometimes logic is needed to make me realize that most things in life are more simple and straightforward than they appear!

May 6, 2015

i dont think it is coaching the teams, it is about notifying everyone what is going on. base coaches are watching the ball and the defense. HPU calling it out is not giving intructions to anyone, runners/coaches are free to make whatever decision they like with regards to advancing, but they can do so now focused on the ball and defense.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
i dont think it is coaching the teams, it is about notifying everyone what is going on. base coaches are watching the ball and the defense. HPU calling it out is not giving intructions to anyone, runners/coaches are free to make whatever decision they like with regards to advancing, but they can do so now focused on the ball and defense.
If your base coaches are only watching the ball and the defense, I would suggest getting better base coaches. ;)

It's not that difficult for a base coach to glance at the PU in this situation and see that he/she is making the Infield Fly call. Not really different than glancing at the umpire when he/she judges fair/foul down the line. A good base coach keeps his/her head on a swivel to capture all elements of the game, not just one or two of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi