Infield Fly Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2013
DFW Area
The video had an IFF called, so how can it definitely be obstruction?

what I meant was if IFF was not called then you have OBS

I guess that could have been an after-the-fact IFF call, hard to tell ... he never called the runner out, at least he never made an out signal
but for 10U-12U, whatever that is, thats certainly not ordinary effort

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
heres a bad infield fly call against DD team last year
https://youtu.be/tvkJ5CSUMgk

Was not necessarily a bad call. Remember, it is judge if an infielder or pitcher or catcher CAN field the ball with ordinary effort. Doesn't mean it is called off if a defender fails to react. Maybe the umpire thought F3 could have made that play if she reacted properly. Then again, maybe not.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I always thought it would be nice if the offense could call it somehow. Never figured out a good way, but it's to protect the offense so why not give them the choice.

No problem as long as every time someone from the offensive team attempts to inappropriately apply the rule, the offense is penalized with the two outs. :)

Apr 25, 2014
Why is that a bad call? That ball should be caught with ordinary effort.

I believe it was a bad call because F1 ran full speed. Glove extended for a chance to make a play on the ball. Not ordinary effort. I don't believe that ordinary effort is full out sprint. Glove extended.

Sep 29, 2014
I believe it was a bad call because F1 ran full speed. Glove extended for a chance to make a play on the ball. Not ordinary effort. I don't believe that ordinary effort is full out sprint. Glove extended.

Which is why it's a judgement call; again I think it was borderline and would not really be upset either way.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

Well if she ran to the ball properly, that is without her glove extended the whole time she would have been there in plenty of time to make the play. Bad technique resulting in a bad outcome doesn't change the fact that ordinary effort catches that ball. And if ordinary effort does not mean hustling to the ball, I don't know what is ordinary effort.

Don't forget, the infield fly rule is to protect the offense, without the call, there would have been an easy out on the lead runner and maybe a DP.

Nov 8, 2014
that certainly should not have been IFF because the ball could not be caught with "ordinary effort". The rule is ONLY in place to prevent defenses from trying to intentionally drop it and get a double play on two baserunners who were reasonably holding up and not advancing. bad umpiring.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma