Infield fly / Interference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2009
Bases loaded, less than two outs. Pop fly hit directly down the third base line such that it will land a few feet in front of the third base bag towards home. Umpire calls "Infield fly if fair". Third base runner took off with the pitch and, while scrambling to get back to the bag, accidentally collides with the 3rd baseman who had positioned herself to catch the ball. 3rd baseman is laid out on the ground, doesn't catch the ball which lands in fair grounds, and it rolls away. Third base runner touches the base and then runs home.

What should the call have been?

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
I'll give it a go. Runner on 3rd interfered with a fielder trying to field a batted ball. She is out and the ball is dead, with no runners able to advance. The infield fly rule is still in affect, subsequently the batter is out for an unconventional double play!

Jun 22, 2008
I'll give it a go. Runner on 3rd interfered with a fielder trying to field a batted ball. She is out and the ball is dead, with no runners able to advance. The infield fly rule is still in affect, subsequently the batter is out for an unconventional double play!

Your final outcome is correct but method of getting there is not. The iff is in effect, at the moment of interference the ball was over fair territory making it a fair ball, the batter is out on the iff, and the runner is also out for the interference. All runners return to last base touched at time of interference.

Jun 3, 2009
Your final outcome is correct but method of getting there is not. The iff is in effect, at the moment of interference the ball was over fair territory making it a fair ball, the batter is out on the iff, and the runner is also out for the interference. All runners return to last base touched at time of interference.

Thank you. That makes sense.

Now, same scenario, but after the ball lands fair, without being touched, it bounces into foul grounds before reaching 3rd base? Does the umpire need to make a judgement as to whether the fielder would likely have touched the ball in fair grounds if not for the interference?

Jul 3, 2013
Thank you. That makes sense.

Now, same scenario, but after the ball lands fair, without being touched, it bounces into foul grounds before reaching 3rd base? Does the umpire need to make a judgement as to whether the fielder would likely have touched the ball in fair grounds if not for the interference?
Comp already answered that. Fair at time of interference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Jul 3, 2013
Does ASA allow for batter and runner to called out on a fly ball that lands in foul territory in this situation?

Jun 22, 2008
Does ASA allow for batter and runner to called out on a fly ball that lands in foul territory in this situation?

USA has a unique rule in situations of a fly ball catchable with normal effort. If a runner interferes with a fly ball catchable with normal effort, fair or foul both the runner and batter are out. Most other rule sets if the ball was over foul territory the runner is out for interference and a strike added to the batters count unless they already had 2 strikes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi