Increasing velocity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
What are everyone’s suggestions for increasing pitching velocity? Any go to drills? Longtoss? Seems like my daughter’s velo shot up from high 40’s - high 50’s and now has plateaued. We work on this constantly just aren’t seeing a lot of results. She is a 13 year old, left hander and has topped out at 59 mph. Are we ahead or behind the curve? Any info appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahead. 13/59 is great.

May 21, 2018
He's got a new one?
He has been posting one on Fbook with Next Level Pitching (out of WV I think). It's virtual, and includes analysis and a tailored work out and drill regimen.
I should say, I think it's newish, but it could've been around awhile.

I'm not an expert on Next Level Pitching, but I've seen at least one of their pitchers and she has got incredible speed. Plays or played for Kentucky Chrome.

Edit: The analysis is 4d motion analysis, not just video. Something like below pic.

Disclaimer: This is not a paid advertisement or endorsement. ;) I just saw it and thought it looked pretty interesting.

1674143946268.png

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
59 at 13 is right where my daughter was. She plateaued there for about a year before breaking to 60. It then took her another 9 months before she hit 62, and then she popped off at 64 just before her 16th birthday. It's been a struggle to maintain that speed, so she focuses on clean mechanics. A minor flaw can cause a drop in 1-2 MPH, so don't be surprised to see variations happen. It's not uncommon for my daughter to go from 60-64 in a lesson because she is doing something wrong that causes a drop in velocity. Remember, they're still learning.

May 21, 2018
Yes. We just completed a trial run and my DD was one of the first. 12 week program with correctives and exercises and breaking down your pitching video. He posted it on his site a few weeks ago.
Not to hi-jack the thread, but what did you think?

Jan 28, 2017
Not to hi-jack the thread, but what did you think?
I liked it. DD spin rate really improved (DK ball). Speed more consistent on the upper end. DD is almost 17 and we knew her speed probably wouldn't jump a lot. She was around 57 most of the time in games at the end of fall season. Prior 53-57. I wouldn't say she gained speed but more consistent. Supposed to help with location but DD has always been elite hitting spots.

May 10, 2019
Many college pitchers are in the low to mid 60s so I think she's doing really good. Others have given plenty of pointers to help increase though.

Jan 6, 2018
Yes. We just completed a trial run and my DD was one of the first. 12 week program with correctives and exercises and breaking down your pitching video. He posted it on his site a few weeks ago.
Yeah - found it, thanks. Might have done it if we had 8 weeks. Oh well, DD is hitting the gym 3 nights a week as it is! We'll just do the standard Pauly Girl speed program for about 5 weeks. Usually nets 2-3 MPH on the top speed, or more practically 1.5-2.5 on the cruising speed. I've had 4 girls do it and all but one got 3 MPH the first time through. Mechanics have to be sound though - it's more of a conditioning program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13