Increasing velocity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 18, 2021
Yeah - found it, thanks. Might have done it if we had 8 weeks. Oh well, DD is hitting the gym 3 nights a week as it is! We'll just do the standard Pauly Girl speed program for about 5 weeks. Usually nets 2-3 MPH on the top speed, or more practically 1.5-2.5 on the cruising speed. I've had 4 girls do it and all but one got 3 MPH the first time through. Mechanics have to be sound though - it's more of a conditioning program.

Jeffrey, do you have a link to this program?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
59 for a 13yr old is very good. An 8th grader/HS freshman throwing 59+ is rare. They say you will typically see 1-3 mph per year increase in HS, but some plateau earlier and some don’t until later. My daughter entered HS averaging 56 and she left throwing 62-63. Her HS team had another girl that entered averaging 56-57 and left HS throwing 56-57.

I know this will sound crazy, but we saw the largest jump in velocity after breaks. She played year round, but we intentionally took at least 6 weeks off every year. No practice, no pitching. Seems like we always saw the velocity growth right after those breaks.

We also did fast arm drills where they get on a knee in the open position, point glove hand at the target, pitching hand down in front of her belt and then just using her arm, go around as fast as she can and then release with proper whip, body interference, etc. To be honest not sure if this helps or not, but that’s what her pitching coach suggested.

We we’re also told to work on leg strength. Increase momentum toward the plate and shift momentum into her arm by stopping hard when the front foot lands.

Yup, she's in the top 3% (IMHO) if she's throwing 59 at 13. My DD is the same and we really aren't thinking or worrying about more speed at all. I get wanting more, but you're already ahead of almost everyone.

Obviously the increases from 40 to 45 and 45 to 50 come really fast, as they grow and mechanics improve by leaps and bounds. But that's gonna slow off a ton as they have good mechanics and don't grow much more. Totally agree with the post above: our biggest improvements come after our 6-8 week total pitching break in Nov-January. We show up to team practice and the pitchers that worked hard in the off-season seem to be about the same and my DD seems faster. I tell them what we did, they just don't seem to believe it I guess. The body needs rest to come back stronger. To repair the muscle fibers. And honestly, the brain needs a break too. And perhaps the spirit.

And yes, any core and leg strength is huge. But I'm not planning on turning my DD into a gym rat just to gain a few MPH. Just too many other things in life she wants and needs to be doing. We do weights in off season and when we can during the season, but it's not a top priority.

Oct 4, 2018
59 at 13 is very respectable and ahead of the curve for most of the kids I see as 14 yr old freshman. At 59+ the big jumps are pretty much over. It’s an uphill battle to continue gaining speed unless you find something mechanical that’s going to make a jump in velocity. Slugger suggested when I posted a player, that improved FSR could increase her speed. She was closing her front foot too much but to my surprise her working on tha did get a bump in speed. Post a video , who knows maybe someone will spot something

Yeah, she's walking through her front side resistance in most of those. That's definitely an area where she can gain some speed.

Jul 18, 2021
Yup, she's in the top 3% (IMHO) if she's throwing 59 at 13. My DD is the same and we really aren't thinking or worrying about more speed at all. I get wanting more, but you're already ahead of almost everyone.

Obviously the increases from 40 to 45 and 45 to 50 come really fast, as they grow and mechanics improve by leaps and bounds. But that's gonna slow off a ton as they have good mechanics and don't grow much more. Totally agree with the post above: our biggest improvements come after our 6-8 week total pitching break in Nov-January. We show up to team practice and the pitchers that worked hard in the off-season seem to be about the same and my DD seems faster. I tell them what we did, they just don't seem to believe it I guess. The body needs rest to come back stronger. To repair the muscle fibers. And honestly, the brain needs a break too. And perhaps the spirit.

And yes, any core and leg strength is huge. But I'm not planning on turning my DD into a gym rat just to gain a few MPH. Just too many other things in life she wants and needs to be doing. We do weights in off season and when we can during the season, but it's not a top priority.

Great post and I thank you for the response. Seems the big consensus is that a break does wonders and I need to do a better job at finding time for breaks. Also we have some things to clean up mechanically that will help. I think improving some mechanics and getting stronger is the direction I need to head. Thank you!

Oct 4, 2018
Great post and I thank you for the response. Seems the big consensus is that a break does wonders and I need to do a better job at finding time for breaks. Also we have some things to clean up mechanically that will help. I think improving some mechanics and getting stronger is the direction I need to head. Thank you!

So my DD started up pitching again about 10 days ago. First day was 50% and not even full pitch. We work back very slowly because I'm a bit overly concerned with injuries.

Had it timed so she was at 100% and full pitch in time for her first lesson, which went well. We're both super eager and excited to clock her, as it seems faster. But we're also worried if the radar shows her slower. It's a weird feeling. So far we haven't clocked her in about 6 months. I sure hope it's faster. If not, I need to have some logical and believable responses prepared to keep her attitude right. :p

Jan 28, 2017
Yeah - found it, thanks. Might have done it if we had 8 weeks. Oh well, DD is hitting the gym 3 nights a week as it is! We'll just do the standard Pauly Girl speed program for about 5 weeks. Usually nets 2-3 MPH on the top speed, or more practically 1.5-2.5 on the cruising speed. I've had 4 girls do it and all but one got 3 MPH the first time through. Mechanics have to be sound though - it's more of a conditioning program.
Lots of jumping and med ball work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802