Increasing rec ball registration

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2010
You are right the most important thing is the bonds you make at this level. We are pretty much modified t ball we use a softer ball and the 4 pitches format we just let both teams bat around twice. we do try to get outs (or at least the better coaches emphisis it) We mainly focus on fun and fundamentals and proper technique so throwing like a girl won't be an insult any longer:D

Oct 19, 2009
One thing that I’ve been thinking about is that with the increasing cost of select ball,
including travel cost, uniforms and etc. and the bad economy I was thinking Rec-ball would see a surge in participants.

In baseball I see that happening they have more teams that fields to accommodate games and practice. So far softball has not see the growth as baseball in rec in our area.

The bad part of rec ball is some of the kids don't want to play because mom or dad made them and they cause problems and the rec people want let you get rid of them. I was cused by 2 girls a few years ago and the rec advised they pay their money so you have to let them play. :confused:

Dec 12, 2008
Albany NY
We did some analysis with regard to our player numbers over the past four years. Ourtotal registration numbers have been 520, 472, 451, 461 - so we had a drop but have leveled off. This year we are on pace for about 450. The large drop a few years ago coincided with school registration numbers (a large cohort of girls moved into the middle school that year). We now have a shortage of girls in grades K-1 in the schools so we may be headed for a downturn in the coming years. Part of the analysis we did also revelaed that we keep about 85% of the girls who have played for at least 2 years - so that seems to be a magic number - if we can keep them around past year one, we've got them. This is a tough thing to do when they are really young, trying out different things, and the game is only a shadow of what is to come if they stick around to 4th grade+.

Anyhow - with soccer entrenched in the community and lacrosse now available to girls in 2nd grade, we have made a number of changes that focus on making the experience more fun and memorable for youngest girls (K-3).
1) Prior to the season, we team up with the Varisty/JV teams from our high school and they run a series of one hour clinics for the girls. While girls this young don't learn much in one hour, they love the experience of being with the big girls (and vice versa).
2) We noticed that once games started, practices stopped because they had two 1.5 hour games per week and adding a pracitce on top of that was apparently too much for coaches and parents. So our K-1 division now divides game time between practice for 45 minutes and game for the last 45 minutes. They spend time learning and can stay focused when it comes time for the shorter game.
3) We are providing training and practice plans for the coaches at the youngest levels so that they can teach the fundamentals and girls develop more quickly. We had found it difficult to attract coaches at the youngest levels because they felt they did not know how to teach the game (also a reason why practices were being dropped). With better instruction, the game becomes more fun.
4) for grades K-3, we have started using 10" balls, which are far easier to grip and throw and that helps the young girls who are trying to become pitchers.
5) This year we are starting a sunday 'academy' where any girl or coach can attend to work on specific skills.
6) We have always had an end-of-year picnic - usually after the season to have god food and hand out awards. Two years ago, we decided to combine the picnic with our end of year rec championship games (for the older three divisions). Attendance for the picnic went from 450 under the last year of the old format, to 550 two years ago, to 750 last year (that includes players and parents). The little girls get to see the older girls play (in between turns bouncy-bounce).
7) Also 2 yrs ago, we started a league night at the local minor league ball park - cheap tickets and free ice cream and the girls get to go on the field for the national anthem. We hold this a couple of weeks after rec season ends.

All of the above ideas seem to be helping us maintain the status quo for spring rec. I wish the numbers were on the rise - but thankfully we are not going in reverse.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
From what you have described about your marketing approach, seems to me that you are doing a lot more than the rec. leagues I had experience with to create interest and involvement.

So I have to pose the question "Are you really marketing what the local area wants?" In other words, what is the local kids perception of the league. Are there reasons for lack of interest? Is it lack of interest in softball, or lack of interest in your league?

I have heard of strong rec. leagues that people drive long distances for. We have one near us that isnt all that competitive, but still has to exclude girls from outside its county (tax support area) in order to limit the numbers or they would be flooded by girls from surrounding counties that dont have the quality league or facilities that they do. Stinks, but they serve their own taxpayers first.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
In all fairness, the rec program has gone to ASA from Little League, thus a new direction. In our area LL was dominated
and geared to the boys. Girls SB was not a high priority

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes