Why baseball is losing children

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Why Children Are Abandoning Baseball - WSJ

The ball fields at Delano-Hitch Park were covered in snow when Jim Wilson launched a campaign to keep them in use. As president of the City of Newburgh Little League, he had seen participation numbers plummet to the point where the league was in danger of folding. Now, he and the league’s board of directors were calling parents one by one, asking if their children would play this spring.

“We kind of felt like telemarketers,” he said.

Some parents told him their children were more interested in lacrosse. Others cited a preference for basketball or soccer. Many didn’t respond to voice mails at all. When the season began last month, the league had only 74 players spread across four age groups, down from 206 in 2009. “Over the last couple years, it’s dropped like a rock,” Wilson said.

This working-class city of 28,000, along the western banks of the Hudson River, is on the front lines of the fight for baseball’s future. As nationwide participation numbers continue to decline, some local youth leagues are reaching a breaking point.

Unable to field enough teams to form a self-contained league, they face a choice between playing teams from surrounding areas, merging with nearby leagues or disbanding altogether. Either way, the game becomes less easily accessible to the casual player, a dying breed in an era of specialization in youth sports.

This shift threatens to cost Major League Baseball millions of potential fans, raising concerns about the league’s future at a time when revenues are soaring and attendance is strong.

“The biggest predictor of fan avidity as an adult is whether you played the game,” MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said. An MLB spokesman cited fan polling conducted by the league last year as proof. When asked to assess the factors that drove their interest in sports, fans between the ages of 12 and 17 cited participation as a major factor more often than watching or attending the sport. That was particularly true among male fans in that age group, 70% of which cited “playing the sport” as a big factor in building their interest.

Since replacing Bud Selig in January, Manfred has been especially focused on increasing youth interest in baseball. The league recently began working with ESPN to prominently feature local Little League teams during Sunday Night Baseball telecasts. MLB brings the teams to the games, and ESPN shows them during the broadcast. An MLB spokesman said the league also plans to announce a major youth initiative in the coming weeks.

But MLB faces headwinds that have been years in the making and forces that are outside its direct control. In 2002, nine million people between the ages of 7 and 17 played baseball in the U.S., according to the National Sporting Goods Association, an industry trade group. By 2013, the most recent year for which data is available, that figure had dropped by more than 41%, to 5.3 million. Likewise, youth softball participation declined from 5.4 million to 3.2 million over the same span.

Other popular sports, including soccer and basketball, have suffered as youth sports participation in general has declined and become more specialized. A pervasive emphasis on performance over mere fun and exercise has driven many children to focus exclusively on one sport from an early age, making it harder for all sports to attract casual participants. But the decline of baseball as a community sport has been especially precipitous.

"I never thought we’d be closing leagues,” said John Lacey, the administrator for New York’s 19th Little League district, which includes Newburgh. A Little League Baseball spokesman declined to specify the number of leagues that have folded in recent years. But Lacey, who has spent the last 42 years working in youth baseball, said one league in his district closed last year. And he is recommending that an additional five of the 28 he oversees, including the City of Newburgh, either fold or merge after this season.

To understand why, consider the matchup in Newburgh’s 9-to-12-year-old division on a recent Monday. At the edge of a 26-acre city park, the Red Sox played the Dodgers—as they do in every game. There aren’t enough participants in that age group to field more than two teams.

“If you play the same team three times a week, then what interest do you have in playing ball?” Lacey said.

In more affluent areas, the best alternatives are merely inconvenient. Nearby towns pool teams together for an interleague schedule or merge their leagues outright. At its entry level, the sport requires players to leave their communities for games more often than before.

But in poorer cities such as Newburgh, a viable, self-sufficient league is necessary to keep some children from abandoning the game. Many parents lack the means to easily transport them to and from neighboring towns.

Beth DeGroat, whose 12-year-old son, Joshua, has been a Little Leaguer since tee ball, said she doesn’t have a car. “My son has a passion for the game,” she said. “But it would be difficult for him to play anywhere else.”

Roughly two-thirds of Newburgh’s Little Leaguers are minorities. When youth baseball dries up in a place like this, it pushes the sport even further in the direction it has been headed for years: richer, whiter, smaller.

While neighborhood games become increasingly scarce, year-round travel teams have never been more prevalent. The U.S. Specialty Sports Association, the dominant organizing body for travel baseball, said it has around 1.3 million players spread across 80,000 teams, more than double what it had 10 years ago. The company’s website includes national rankings for teams in age groups that begin at “4 and under.”

Ismael Gonzalez, who manages the Miami-based 9-and-under team MVP Juniors Elite, said his team travels throughout the Southeast, playing more than 100 games a year and practicing two or three days a week. “These kids work like machines,” he said. “This is not just for fun. This is their lifestyle.”

But the cost of that lifestyle—thousands of dollars a year in many cases—puts it out of reach for many parents. It skews heavily white: A 15-year study of travel teams by Nebraska researcher David Ogden found that only 3% of players are black. And its popularity has made baseball more of a niche sport, precisely what MLB wants to avoid at the spectator level.

“The kids who have been playing baseball since they were 18 months old, they’re going to be baseball fans,” said Mark Hyman, a George Washington University sports management professor and author of three books on youth sports. “But MLB can’t rely on them exclusively. There needs to be opportunities for kids who are not going to be Willie Mays and don’t even want to be Willie Mays.”

In Newburgh, the task of preserving such opportunities is left to Wilson, a 57-year-old retiree who has been involved with the league for 24 years. He applied for grants from several companies last winter, hoping to eliminate the need for registration fees, but was turned away. He slashed the fees to $25 for this season, which means the league loses money for every child that registers, after uniform costs. And while that has sapped the league’s cash reserves, it has helped boost its head count. The number of players increased to 82 in early May.

“We’ll do whatever it takes,” he said. “We don’t want to shut down.

Aug 30, 2015
Hmmm. . .they're basing the article on the theory youth are losing interest in baseball.

I haven't done research myself but I don't think that's true at all.

Kids are migrating from LL to Select/Travel/Club ball.

They don't mention a thing about that in the article.

And FWIW, numbers in our local softball and baseball LL are remaining fairly steady. Shaky. . .but steady.

Sep 29, 2014
Yeah it might be a more kids a quitting LL not baseball...there are other options, although here in the Northeast LAX is taking a lot of really good athletes boys and girls that would normally be playing baseball and softball.

Think about it 20 years ago how many kids played LAX, now there are over 750K.

At least thats the kids that play sports but kids are just lazy these days to gotta play video games.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I know our local softball LL has been playing other communities for years. When my oldest daughter played in LL (roughly 20 years ago now) all the teams were from our community. She was one who left to play travel ball.

Not sure how the boys side is doing. It was all within the community when my boys were playing. Neither had aspirations to play above the house league level. One played high-level travel soccer, the other wound up playing lax. I know there are several travel baseball teams in the area now, whereas back then there may have been one.

Personally, I find something wrong with the idea that 8 and 9 year olds are playing 100 games a year, plus practicing 2-3 days a week. But that's just me.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Andrew McCutcheon wrote an essay on why less and less african americans are playing baseball. One of the big reasons he stated is college scholarships. A kid from a poor family who is a superior athlete has a chance at a full ride playing football or basketball, but a half scholarship to play baseball might as well be no scholarship at all if the family can't come up with the other half. He said that if it wasn't for a knee injury in 10th grade he would have focused on football, as it was he was fortunate to be drafted out of high school.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Hmmm. . .they're basing the article on the theory youth are losing interest in baseball.

I haven't done research myself but I don't think that's true at all.

Kids are migrating from LL to Select/Travel/Club ball.

They don't mention a thing about that in the article.

And FWIW, numbers in our local softball and baseball LL are remaining fairly steady. Shaky. . .but steady.

In my area, the numbers are WAY down for both LL baseball and softball. The select softball leagues still remain strong. Back when oldest DD played LLSB majors (12U), the girls played both TB and LL. Now you only see it at 10U. They are also losing a lot to lacrosse. We have two neighboring little leagues with fields across the street from each other. The obvious think for them to do would be to combine. However, the two boards have a strong dislike for each other. That, too, chases off parents.

I'm not sure what's happening on the baseball side of things. The HS team is very strong and still has enough players for JV and a freshman team.

Mar 21, 2013
I wonder what the numbers are for the Pony type leagues. My son played Little League and we had a great time, but I truly think they have fallen well behind the curve. Little League may want to amend it's rules to grow within the sport. Pony baseball, and the like, have a pitchers mound, bases and general field dimensions that lengthen as the boys get older. They can also lead off. This is not the case in Little League. It makes no sense that 7 year olds and 13 year olds play from the same mound (43'), bases (60') and field dimensions (190-200'). When you move to the LL Junior program after 13 yoa the mound and bases extend to standard lengths. Which is a big jump for those moving forward. Why not extend these distances a little at a time as you go up in age groups like the Pony programs do?

As a result when you go from a Pony baseball program you have been exposed to leadoffs, farther pitching distances, 90' bases, catchers with experience making longer throws and a better overall idea of how the game of baseball is played. Which, makes the transition to high school ball or Babe Ruth much easier. When you finish LL at 13 years old you have only pitched from 43', ran to 60' bases and had no experience with proper leadoffs and pickoffs. With this in mind I wonder if more kids are playing Pony baseball to better prepare for the future.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
In the northeast where I live, I have heard and seen that the numbers in softball are dropping and the talent pool is shrinking. I have heard from baseball coaches that they have been hit hard by Lax.
on My senior league (U16 LL) team, I have kids who are also playing TB but we seldom have conflicts as those tournaments only occur on weekends and at the U18 level the season doesn't start until after HS season is over.. there are kids who are dividing their time between softball and AAU Basketball, soccer, volleyball and Lax, three of which are playing in their second season of the year.

Sue Enquist cited a study that was done (Aspen Institute?) that showed participation in youth sports across the country is down but most precipitously in softball.

My personal experience has lead me to the opinion that softball is losing ground because it is a difficult sport, in IMHO one of the most difficult sports and now in the same season, there are many other choices, all of which are simpler to play and easier to succeed if not excel.

I think the best thing for the kids and the sports program is for some large organization like the AAU to recognize that sport specialization is not good for kids or teams and eliminate this two-season, money-making Bullsh@t. Soccer is a fall sport, so play it in the fall. Basketball is a cold-weather sport- play it in the winter! Lax, BB and SB are spring sports so make your choice and play one. We have a couple kids on the HS Varsity team that are good athletes, star Basketball players, but not star softball players and they have a lot of trouble wrapping their heads around the game. they have been playing it their whole life but just don't get it.

I have heard college coaches, DI -DIII, both men and women's sports say they like to see kids that play multiple sports- SO KEEP THE FOCUS ON THE SPORT THAT IS IN-SEASON!

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
The two largest leagues in Cincinnati are AABC (American Amateur Baseball Congress) and Knothole baseball. AABC is a national org and fairly new to the area and Knothole has been played in Greater Cincinnati since the early 1930's. Just north of Cincinnati in Hamilton Ohio there is a large Little League presence. Both AABC and Knothole stagger pitching and base distances every 2 years as nicelag suggests above. Knothole served Cincinnati well, making the city the 2nd largest producer of major league baseball players totaling over 300.

May 13, 2012
Our area East TN. Boys LL still fairly strong and tapers of after LL. Girls LL is tapering off. Reasons IMO.
1. Kids have lot more options in sports-lacrosse, soccer, and other seasonal sports that go yr rd now.
2. Kids have lot more non sport options-computer,smartphone.etc to occupy their time.
3. Kids that take it more seriously prefer the travel, club ball. No fun when they are worried about hurting another player that can't catch or throw. Most travel teams wind up with like skilled player
4. Hard to find coaches wanting to spend practice after practice working on basics with half a team while other half is ready for more advanced skills. Think putting special ed in advanced classes like.calculus. and teacher having to try to ready both groups for same yr end final.
5. Travel/Club practice as much or little as you want, either way they get to play several games on the weekend. And playing is usually always more fun for them than reps at practice.
This list can continue on but it is quick list of what I see here as causing req. to diminish in my area.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812