In tournament recovery methods

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 9, 2012
Being in the medical field and an expert with MSD's (sports and occupational) and having daughters and players that pitch from 10-18 here are my thoughts.

There must be a limit on the number of arm rotations each week.
Wrists are at a greater risk of MSD than elbows and shoulders.
Conditioning the supporting muscles, exercise, and awareness of pain vs soreness are key.
The use of anti inflammatories and ice as proactive means on occassion are necessary.
Proper mechanics that are natural to the body is a must. Each body is different so a dr must help determine this.
I ice my kids at the end of each day IF they threw over a certain threshold (its different for each kid).
I place an icyhot patch on major muscles after showers and before bed each day they reach a certain threshold.

Proactive treatment, consistency, and understanding of each kid is key.
Hydration and protein based nutrition are a must.

Mar 31, 2011
Oh sorry thought pitching dad and red hack were the same. Maybe you are, but in any case, the balance is not there. I am not 'disapproving' your post, but disapproving the philosophy of allowing over use to occur with your daughters. This would never happen in baseball, kind of counterintuitive, but girls love to please their dads and coaches and we should not take advantage of that,

The ration should be more practice--to a pitch limit--and less games.
Perhaps you are right. I am trying to do what I think is right. I will admit I have up-ed her limits due to her requests.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish