In tournament recovery methods

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2010
My DD has played summers in Texas since 10U and she pitches, she is now 15. If they are leaning on her for pitching she may occupy the Flex position( this helps save her legs.) Our #1 rule is "half a bottle of water every time she enters the dugout" this has worked well for her, keeps her hydrated without "water logging" her. I have alway heard water during games, Gatorade/Powerade after. For snacks in extreme heat we rely on fruit such as grapes, strawberries, watermelon, canteloupe and bananas.

Jul 1, 2010
I recommend lots of water, but adding in lo cal sports drinks in moderation have served us well over the years. They replace some of the electrolytes lost in heavy perspiration.

As to the overuse injuries, you have to be the adult sometimes and make the tough call. Wish someone had made me quit jumping out of perfectly good airplanes so I wouldn't walk so funny now!!��

Aug 21, 2008
If we are going to use ice for kids, (remember they're kids regarding the ice too) then we should have rest that accounts for full recovery from the inflammation, just like baseball. Surely that is longer than one or two hours and not meant for multiple times in one day (unless you are injured and then you can't play....).

So let's be mindful of how much the young player is playing, rather than having a 10 year old icing so she can pitch two-three games in one day.

Adults, we can do whatever, but let's not have kids do that.

Screwball, your post is seems more relevant to the whole "overuse" discussion. That's an entirely different topic than what I was intending in my post.

Bill

Feb 15, 2011
FL
Pickles. I am not a doctor, but I know that a pickle will help with cramps and dehydration. Saw another teams player get wiped out because she did not hydrate properly and they gave her pickle juice. Google claims are both pro and con. It would appear however that eating a pickle will help maintain balance along with drinking water. My dd cannot stand Gatoraide but will eat a pickle and a Poweraide Zero.

Aug 4, 2011

To Bucketrider's point. Electrolytes need to stay in balance. Water is of course essential, but the body's electrolytes need to be replenished and stay in balance. We hear all about sodium and potassium, but don't neglect sources of calcium, magnesium, zinc, etc.

When I was younger and stupid(er), I would play beach (well, "sand" in the Midwest) volleyball for hours and drink water constantly. The water wasn't enough. I would still get nauseous, cramp up (remember, I was stupid), etc. Even to this day, if I've been overly physical during the day, I can get leg cramps at night. I finally started taking calcium and magnesium/zinc supplements on top of potassium rich foods and the cramps would stay away.

Of course everybody reacts differently (I sweat profusely), but kids are more susceptible to heat than adults. Look for optimal ways to keep the fluids, electrolytes and carbs replenished. All that being said, find some reliable sports medicine research that's specific to kids. I think a sticky thread in the "Softball Training" forum on this very subject would be ideal, if enough good research could be collected.

Apr 25, 2010
We will be dealing with this in this coming weekend, as we are playing an 8gg. We don't allow DD to horse around or play in between games. We have seen teams playing kickball between games. Are their parents crazy?? Anyway, we make sure she drinks frequent servings of water during game time and maybe some powerade, depending on how much she is sweating. Between games, she eats lots of fruit and some cheese and crackers and sips at her powerade. Absolutely NO soda or sugary anything. Thankfully, our team does a "team cooler" for the weekend where parents are assigned main dish, salad, cheese & crackers, and fruit. We are all on the same page as to what is appropriate for the girls, and what isn't. This feeds the whole team, parents and siblings included. We have something like 6 of those canopy things that we put up like tent city, and the girls are to eat and lounge under there in the shade. Most have Frog Toggs, others have cold washcloths, but all have something.

Apr 4, 2012
This is just an observation so take it for what it's worth.

There was a tournament played at our fields this weekend and my daughter and I spent some time going between the various games. Pretty hot day and the sun was out. I have never had to deal with this as a coach but I would say, just from a sports recovery perspective, that the girls need to relax during the break between games. At any time you could always see a group of 4 or 5 players running to the concession stand, or to go see their friend on another team play, then running back. The key in my mind to getting them ready is to get them to just relax between games.

As Bill Hillhouse had said, there will be time to warm up, so keep them relaxed and calm. Put up a tent and keep them in it. Have a parent or two responsible for whatever the girls need. Keep the snacks and drinks flowing, bring some games and a few extra chargers for when their phones die, and just keep them relaxed.

I know I've said relaxed a number of times but I feel it's very important especially when dealing with heat and kids. Not just from a performance standpoint but a safety one since many of these players may never have experienced any kind of heat related issues and won't recognize the signs until it's too late.

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
Remember when you were a kid? Remember when it was a hot day? Remember when you were playing, having fun or doing something you loved to do?

The reason I ask these questions is because we as parents and coaches really have to monitor our kids, the kids will mimic us when we were young. We are also dealing with (in some cases) pretty serious athletes. Kids (and the elderly) can compensate and do fine for a long time in the heat and then will crash fast, sometimes without warning. Just as we did as kids.

A bit of prevention and preparation will go a long way into getting the girls and even the adults thru the hot season:
-Hydrate, I know this has been stated many times but sodium and electrolytes need to be in what you are drinking. Sports drinks do a great job now of making sure the mix is just about correct for anyone. If you DD doesn't like it, find a different flavor or brand. By the time they get "thirsty" it is to late they are past the proper hydration level. This will seem odd too, but make sure it isn't ice cold when they drink it. Yes we all love cold drinks on hot days, but for someone who is on they dehydrated side giving them cold water acts against the effects of the fluid, it takes the body energy to warm the substance up to start processing it.

-Shade/cool area- direct sun is the worst for someone who needs to preform, it zaps your energy. Sade and a fan work wonderful. Make sure you have an area where they can sit to relax and do very little away from the sun light. Cold wraps are great too for cooling. Careful thou for too many they could cool the exterior of the body to fast and give a false sense of "things are great now".

-Food- On hot days it is hard to get kids to eat, but they need more than the fluid calories they are taking in. It has been mentioned that fruits work well, but you do need to add protein and fats to the mix....in very small doses. Things like granola bars and a small amount of nuts (1oz) or peanut butter will work. Each kid is different but unless the body is getting a balance, it will start grabbing what it needs from sources it shouldn't be (called canalization) leading to further drained energy.

-After the game they need to eat good, low fat, high protein foods. Stuff that will stay with them for a while and help repair some of the damage our bodies have broken down during the days play. Also you have to find a pregame meal that they like, no matter how early if they do not it will cause a lack of energy during the game. Most stored carbs will be burnt off during pregame warm ups thus undoing all the work you put into post game meals.

-Recovery and repair - Ice and Ibuprofen work but they are to some degree a mask for what is really going on. I'm not going to get to deep in here but both of these things will help for acute pain and for short term bumps and bruises. It should never be a substitute for rest and strengthening the part of the body that is being used and abused.

This is my 2 cents, I hope it helps somebody. I understand kids are picky and want to just play but 5 - 7 games in weekend in 95* heat is past 'normal' play.

Remember we are human and capable of feats far greater they we think and are far more resilient than many of us will ever know but that doesn't mean you have to push ALL THE time to see those results. Doing to much constantly is what gets us and our kids in trouble, proper recovery goes a long way. Because once you get your body out of its norm (called homeostasis) it takes a very long time to get it put back to its proper placement.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2011
My DD (10u) pitches a minimum of 3 games a day on the weekends. Usually 5 or 6.
We workout 6-7 days a week and have been for over a year and she throws about 150-300 pitches a day. Now before I hear all the over use folks crucify me let me say her form is very smooth and she has no pain after working out. We not only work on snapping drills, leg driving drills, stamina and her pitching off the mound. But we do it in the afternoon heat here in Arkansas. During tournaments I make sure between games that she stays in the shade with minimal activity and have taught her about hydrating correctly. I tell all my girls that if your not going potty each hour then your not drinking enough. We also cut up fruit and keep it cold for the whole team. I believe a strong work ethic and training in the heat and proper hydration allows her to pitch effectively in multiple games.

I can't believe what I have read..... this kids arm will be gone in next few years if she coninues to work like this... you say you pitched? are you trying to live through your kid? pitches minumum 3 games more like 5 and 6 on weekends (a day) and works 6-7 days a week? Throws 150-300 pitches a day?? You have lost your mind... I assume your the head coach on the team she is on because no head coach would work a 10u kid this hard. I'm sorry guys I know we are not suppose to be mean on here and I don't want to be but this is crazy. I'm sure my jaw wasn't the only jaw that fell when you read pitchers dad thread. Come on guys

Mar 18, 2012
California
My daughter didn't really start pitching until last year - and she got a ton of pitching time. Spring, Allstars, Fall-ball...she was favored by a coach who pitched her or used her as a catcher...depending on the team we were up against. PC always told me it didn't matter how many pitches she threw, because she was taught right. DD always told me she was fine and not sore. I just didn't buy it and we met each other half-way with recovery methods.

Before games we make sure she has a good amount of protein and carbs. She doesn't drink soda or eat much sugar to begin with. Game day she has carbs for breakfast (oatmeal or cream of wheat, most of the time). Lunch is hard to find. We always keep sandwiches on hand but she's rarely hungry enough to eat. I also bring pickles for the sandwiches...Beef Jerkey, pretzels, cold fruit. Cold fruit in the dug-out on very hot days. Water, water, water. After tournaments I use a concoction of a menthol/anti-inflammatory gel called "China-Gel"...and mix it with Emu oil. I bought the Emu oil for my hands...I was a cheerleader and my wrists and hands are a little arthritic. I read that Emu oil was a remedy for it...and I think it works? For my daughter, it cuts the China Gel so that I can rub her back a little better. Plus, the dogs love it...;)

We recently played an out of town tournament where our girls spent one night bowling late. I should note, normally DD is in bed by 8:30-9pm on game nights. They paid the price the following day. Thank goodness we had a 3 hour break between games for resting! Sleep needs to be a big priority. I feel like her diet keeps her motor running quietly and strong. I've been on teams where I have to beg the girls and the parents to not eat burgers and fries between games. We play in 100 degree weather. What do you think your body's doing when you're trying to play softball? It's trying to nap and make poop! :/

So far I see she's been good for maybe 3 games spaced fairly close together. I don't like to see her play more than 2, especially on pool day. But I stepped back from coaching for a reason. So I can eat nachos and enjoy a game!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish