Improper touching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Because of fear of accusations.

It sucks, it really does but as a woman I can touch my girls but a guy my age doing the exact same thing would be looked at differently.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I don't see anything wrong with moving a girl's foot if it was in the wrong place or touching her elbow. Can you smack her on the butt after she gets a hit? No, but correcting something such as that is no big deal at all.

Jul 26, 2010
I get confused sometimes as to what is a league rule and an ASA rule, since my level 1 ASA certification was done the same day, I'll have to go back and check. "No touch period" is definitely a league rule for our area. I've always carried it over to travel ball. The truth is that there's no reason to touch, so why open the door. All it takes is one girl with a lawyer to say "he was holding my hand" when all the coach did was adjust her grip on the bat to make sure that coach never coaches again.

-W

Oct 25, 2009
I understand the concern about being accused of something. I'm aware of a couple instances where there were accusations of inappropriate remarks. Both coaches were gone.

Having said that, I believe if the proper atmosphere is in place those instances will be near non-existent.

If you didn't have trouble coaching boys, you shouldn't have trouble coaching girls. If you wouldn't say it to a boy, don't say it to a girl.

If I'm considering coaching a girl's team and they have a "no touch" rule then I'm not coaching there. Not because I need to touch, but because the atmosphere is already "loaded."

The instances of abuse that I've read about were much more serious than merely touching while teaching. Everyone should be alert to the potential for abuse--boys or girls; but the sport of softball should be played in an atmosphere of trust.

If you can't coach girls without feeling uneasy, or making them feel uneasy, then you probably shouldn't be coaching them.

Mar 13, 2010
I'm sure the older females can give many, many, many examples of yucky coaches. (like my U12s manager who encourged us to sit on his lap during games. I'm shuddering just remembering it) Unforuntly disgusting men are drawn to woman's sports. Which is horrific for the honest men who want to help, because they get tarred with the same brush.

Having said that, the only man I know who went to gaol for having sexual relationships with his boys coached a U'16's Boys Team. (with a number of my friends being victims) I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never heard of a girl having an affair with her coach.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2009
Lozza:
The last post is again inappropriate for the topic being discussed (the 'joke' sentences at the end are what I am referring to). I think the moderator should remove it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
As a former grade school teacher, we were not allowed to touch our students at all. It is a rather sad state of affairs.

I am having trouble remembering the last time that I needed to touch one of my softball students. I guess I don't physically move their arms, foot, etc. I am demonstrating the skill and they are following.

It is a sad world that we live in, but I get news alerts every week of a softball coach accused of something. I imagine that some coaches are innocent, but once the girl makes the accusation, it just doesn't matter. Your reputation is ruined.

Jul 26, 2010
Ever since I coached softball the "no touch" rule was part of it, so I guess I never missed out on having to do physical corrections.

I did come into softball with a background of teaching (mixed classes of male/female) martial arts, where it was very common and even necessary to touch students, correct their form, throw them to the mat when sparring, ect. Even though, it wasn't that difficult to make the adjustment . I honestly don't think it's a big enough deal to say "I won't coach without being able to physically correct", but everyone is entitled to their own opinions. If anything, I think not being able to physically correct has made me better at explaining what I'm trying to get across.

-W

Mar 13, 2010
The last post is again inappropriate for the topic being discussed (the 'joke' sentences at the end are what I am referring to). I think the moderator should remove it.

I removed it myself. I think it's a lot more common here for women to play, so it's not uncommon to see players start dating their coaches, but I'll bow to your opinion on that one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06