Improper touching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
not coaching my 12 U team anymore...whY?? The asst had his arm around one of the girls shoulders while walking with her and talking to her!! Told the guy who put the team together and he said that's just him (referring to the asst)...same asst threw a water bottle when team made 3 errors in an inning!! But back on topic...I always tell the parents that after I explain something to the girls and have them do it, if they don't do it right I might move a foot or elbow!! And I always tell the girl what I am going to do before doing it!! But beyond that..no hugs...no back slaps...just a fist bump!!

Mar 15, 2010
My ex-wife must have been a softball player she had a No Touch Rule.

But seriously I fell no touch rules are important. I have posted on this before. There are child predators targeting our young ladies. They live in our communities and us parents and coaches need to be prepared and educated. If you live in a state with a Megan's law type website, I urge you to check out not just your home but also the places where your DD practices and plays. Last year at a field near my home the police ejected a known pedophile who was taking pictures of the 8U girls. Unfortunately he did not violate any laws and the league was forced to get a restraining order to keep him away. While no touch rules may feel like PC over correctness I feel it is a necessary requirement to protect our children.

California Megan's Law - California Department of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

Aug 25, 2009
virginia
Seriously?? Can't adjust an arm or leg? I can't believe this is even being discussed. There is an OBVIOUS inappropriate line. But zero touching
is simply ridiculous. You all must be the worlds best communicators to adjust everything with words and demos only.

Oct 12, 2010
Wow. I guess I live in a sheltered environment. My high school coach adjusts our swings when he feels it is necessary or shows us how we should be using proper technique for other things, ie sliding, crowhops, etc. I've never thought twice about it. I think it is necessary for a coach to be able to show a player how to do something.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Seriously?? Can't adjust an arm or leg? I can't believe this is even being discussed. There is an OBVIOUS inappropriate line. But zero touching
is simply ridiculous. You all must be the worlds best communicators to adjust everything with words and demos only.

i was working with the pitchers with a new Manager on a 10U Team this year. I told her I was going to buy a pool noodle to try and stop some pitchers from leaning so much. She told me to just grab their pony tails, it works better. When I told her I try to avoid touching the girls she looked at me funny, another male coach chipped in that he did not like to either.

It is very difficult, almost impossible, not to have some physical contact the Players.

In 8U last year the rule was that the batter could not leave a base until the ball got to the plate, it is beyond my understanding why we even had stealing in 8U. Like every team in the League we had a few girls that just did not get it. Some runners left the base before the ball left the pitchers hands. I talked to our culprits; I could hear the other coaches talking to their culprits, during the windup, off the girls went trying stealing a base. Some girls got to 2nd before the ball even got to the catcher. The only way I could figure out to change this was to grab on to their jersey and not let them go anywhere until they could leave the base. The umpires never called them out which was OK by me. I talked to the other coaches on our Team and they agreed. Our Manager’s girl was one of the worst offenders, he told me to grab her jersey, still could not do it.

This example is grabbing a jersey, with at least 50 people watching, I still could not do it. Let them leave early. (This year at 10U the girls are allowed to leave the base when the ball leaves the pitchers hand, a few girls have been called out for leaving early. I hate/love umpires, sometimes they are in the best position to teach the girls because of the Team consciences.)

This is a little bit of a contradiction but if all contact is improper touching I occasionally violate the rule, and I am a fan of the rule.

Not perfect, but I would like all Mangers and official Team coaches to have a background check approved by the League. I discussed this with my Father last night,; he has coached LL in all levels for 45 years. Does being convicted for burglary 10 years ago exclude a person for being a Manager/ Coach? I have my opinions but this becomes very subjective, like this entire thread.

We also discussed if boys or girls were in more danger in youth sports, I was interested for a few minutes then stopped the discussion because his point is mute. 1 kid is too many, regardless of sex.

Not perfect again but all League Managers need to have a background check, and all the coaches that they want to allow working with kids by themselves. As far as I am concerned this can be the Sex Offenders list, does not have to be a full background check. This check is free for anyone with Internet access.

We are always looking for parents to help in practice but until an individual parent meets that minimum standard they are not allowed to work with kids without another Manager “approved” adult. If the Manger wants them to work with the kids by themselves, the Manager needs to get on the Web and do a check. Submit it to the Leaque, they are cleared. If the coach fails, the Manager need to ask them to not be involved.

I do not think it is the Leagues’ responsibility to “validate” or approve all parents that are on the Team to work with your kid, at some point it needs to become the Manager’s Issue and more importantly the parents responsibility.

Personally we watch our DD pretty close, non-softball Issue. When we are able to be less active we will be checking all the parents on her Teams against the Sex Offenders list, right now it is not an issue.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never heard of a girl having an affair with her coach.

It happens. I can name three college coaches that ended up living with one of their players.

Jul 9, 2010
Wow, this is a weird topic, that makes me think some. I have former players give me hugs at tourneys all the time - don't even think twice about it. Usually, their parents are standing right there, though. My DD gives a few of her ex-coaches, and parents of her good friends, hugs when she sees them - I've never really thought about it.

About 2 weeks ago, we had a player (16) take a pitch to her knee, and she was in major pain in the dugout. I sat next to her on the bench, and put an ice pack on her knee. She grabbed my sleeve, and hid her face, and was trying not to cry in front of her teammates. So I put my arm around her, and she cried on my shoulder for a minute until she pulled it together. She just needed to let that go, and then she calmed down and got her game face back on. I didn't really think too much of it, except how badly I felt that she was hurting that badly.

It's not like there's a lovefest going on, but I haven't even thought twice in the above situations. Maybe I better.

As far as dating players goes, a coach (female - 20) on my DD's team a few years ago dated a player (16). We left that team.

Jul 28, 2008
Personally, I would like to know who the moderator was that took my question in another thread, and then created this one under my name and the topic of "Improper Touching" without my permission. I am not very thrilled about this. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty pissed off about it!

Dec 19, 2009
I gotta say if you have issues holding a girls jersey because it makes you feel uncomfortable maybe coaching girls isn't for you. I've high fived, fist bumped, put my arm around one of my players when she cried, and ran onto the field and had a girl jump into my arms and gave her a hug when she finally got a hit after three seasons. I have three daughters of my own and 12 more that I coach.

This country is jacked up when you can't put your hand on a girls shoulder to comfort her when she strikes out.

Oct 25, 2009
I gotta say if you have issues holding a girls jersey because it makes you feel uncomfortable maybe coaching girls isn't for you. I've high fived, fist bumped, put my arm around one of my players when she cried, and ran onto the field and had a girl jump into my arms and gave her a hug when she finally got a hit after three seasons. I have three daughters of my own and 12 more that I coach.

This country is jacked up when you can't put your hand on a girls shoulder to comfort her when she strikes out.

I agree with you 100%!

Don't be afraid to care about the kids!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06