Im back lol. Another video of Makenzie pitching, feedback will be greatly

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC,
Your video work is awesome. Hoping you have time to do this for folks more often. Too bad you can't charge for your work! Ken

Thankz Ken..... Since I last posted, DD & I went on a shooting session for a Couple @ the Lake.... weather is perfect today...:cool:

Last edited:
Just a quick response. It appears she is putting a lot of emphasis on her follow through....both the throwing arm and toe drag. Especially for young pitchers you should redirect any time put into follow through and put it into solid mechancis from the 12 o'clock position "K" down into release. Spend infinitely more time throwing from the "K" position......ditch the walk throughs. Most kids her age don't have good enough mechanics to control their body in a walk through. Have her learn the sequencing of the linear to rotational conversion.....she can do this best from the "K" position.....right now she has got that mastered.

Feb 7, 2013
She looks like a totally different pitcher from 6 months ago, looks a lot better. Good job.

The hands over the head is wasted movement, so why even do it if it adds nothing to the pitch? I agree with some posters that she should not have the glove planted at the left hip during the whole pitch. On the stride, you want to drive the glove towards the catcher, right down the powerline. This helps transfer the body's momentum forward for more velocity on the pitch. This is why during the standing long jump the arms go forward on the leap to help gain additional momentum forward. Her arm looks forced at release. She needs to work on her arm whip and long natural follow through. As Rick suggests, lots of K drills making sure the palm is facing catcher at 12:00; palm to sky at 9:00; and leading with the elbow into release with a loose and natural finish. Practice from about 20 - 25 feet away without her concern where the ball ends up. She needs to start feeling and trusting her arm whip.

While I like the fact that she is planting the stride foot well and keeping her weight back at release (what I call "sticking the landing"), she is clearly not balanced because she is falling hard to the right side. Just a guess, but it might be caused by not counter-balancing her left side with her left arm/glove? At least she is not bowling like before and falling over her toes.

Feb 28, 2013
Thanks Rocketech1, I appreciate the feedback, yeah I thought she looked better, but I wasn't sure. I've just got on here to replay and give thanks to everybody that gave feedback. She watched Cat do the hands over head and she wanted to do it, I let her try it and she was throwing strikes so I let her. I changed her awhile ago to coming straight out of glove into circle. Should I go back to that? I shot her from the side two pitches, behind two pitches and her coming at the catcher two pitches, Sunday and Monday. I've been trying to get her to keep her glove side arm up, but she just complains, "I cant do that, it feels weird". I'm going to post them and I have a lefty step daughter that just started to pitch, I also filmed her too, check her out for me as well. Thanks and God Bless

Feb 28, 2013
Thanks Rick, We worked on that today, as I told Rocketech1, I have a lefty stepdaughter that turn 11 on Dec 11th one day later than Makenzie, and she is a lefty, we have been at it a while, she just started back playing this year, after not playing since 8U MP. We did our arm circles and bands today and then went to T-drill, and K-drill, and they asked me why are we doing the K-drill so long today, I said don't ask questions and just do it. Thanks for your advice as well. God Bless

Feb 28, 2013
Thanks PC, I shot her Sunday afternoon, and today two each from side, behind, and coming at me. I'm going to post them after going through and thanking everybody and you definitely, fixed that video, my stepdaughter was the one filming. I was one the bucket lol

Feb 28, 2013
I like the makings of the follow-thru.... She needs to get that glove up higher... I think it indicates, that she has pitched before, and seen a "comebacker" Glove up @ finish trumps all other techniques. :cool:

Thanks PC, This is actually her first year pitching, she started when I posted the first video. She pitched a little bit maybe 5-7 innings as a 9 year old. She's had one, one hour pitching lesson with a great guy, but he showed her nothing I didn't already know. She is 5'3, skinny, and long legged. She cruises around 41-45, and I've got her topped out at 48, that's hauling it, around south Arkansas. I wish she had a great pitching coach, I would love to see what she would do if somebody besides me was helping her. Thanks again God Bless

Feb 28, 2013
Thanks JJ, Actually she misses more left to right than high and low, when she misses in low and in. This is her first year of pitching besides a few innings as a 9 year old in 2012. I really don't understand the whole IR situation, I want her to have good mechanics and to throw strikes, and improve her change up that is nasty, when she doesn't roll it to the plate half way lol, I filmed her Sunday and Monday two pitches from side, back, and front. I also have a lefty step daughter that hasn't played since she was on 8U mp. I'm going to link them as well in a new post. Thanks and God Bless

Feb 28, 2013
@JJ, I literally laughed out loud when you quoted me saying "you short armed the piss out of that". and we could be brothers except for my cool southern drawl, lol, that's weird because people from around here say I have an accent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g