3 short clips of my DD Makenzie ptiching. Many of you have watched and gave feedback,

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 28, 2013
If you guys could watch these newest videos of her that I shot of her and my step-daughter who has never caught a day in her life Friday afternoon and she if she has improved ANY would be much appreciated. Be honest I can handle it. I don't look through daddy colored glasses. She is still working to fast but I'm trying to slow her down. When filming her I try not to say to much, just to see if she remembers what she is supposed to be doing or her muscle memory is starting to take effect. I finally read the I/R thread and I must say, it is awesome when I even got close to understanding what in the world it meant, or how to execute it. To me when she lets it go close to "right" her ball tails in to righties and has a sinking action. Cant really tell from filming her from the back and the side, while not catching her. Her confidence is starting to grow, we no longer just try and throw it down the middle, we are working on spotting up and I havent gunned her since the first video. She is starting to correct herself and I believe that's THE KEY. Thanks in advance for as much feedback as possible.

Thanks,

10U Makenzie getting more comfortable - YouTube

10U Makenzie still putting in work - YouTube

10U Makenzie again - YouTube

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Couple of quick things:

- From this angle it looks like she is striding to the left rather than onto the powerline (and her glove is swimming this way). I don't think it is a camera angle thing so worth checking out.

- She isn't following through at all. Note that after she releases the ball her arm snaps backwards instead of continuing through. That means she is not coming through the pitch. Everything should go towards and through the catcher. The IR threat from BoardMembr should help here in where she should be finishing.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She needs to land on a strong, straight front side. She is collapsing and throwing her shoulders forward. I say "Just stand tall, like walking." Or show her how the posture is similar to overhand throw.

Does she do the Stork Drill?
M.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2013
Thanks, Amy I'm not sure what the stork drill is?, so no lol, I'll find what it is and check it out. I STILL can't get her to slow down, enough, I have her walking around the bucket, and constantly telling her to slow down, but she loves to work fast, like she's in a race to see how many pitches she can throw in a minute. Even with all her bad mechancis she has gotten A LOT more accurate. When I frame by frame slo-mo on my phone, she looks better than live, its weird. Does she still look the same from the first video?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Stork drill. Stand open to third, feet spread on the power line. Lift the front foot off of the ground. Pitch. Do not let the front foot touch the ground until the catcher has the ball. This will show her how her weight should stay on the back leg.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Video from the side would be great.

Ask her to pause with her hands apart before stepping onto the rubber. When she steps on, her hands need to be separated.

Apr 25, 2010
To get her to slow down, try having her take a deep breath once she's on the rubber, then count 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi, 4 Mississippi, 5 Mississippi before she can pitch the ball. While she is counting, see if she can "visualize" the pitch. It will force her to slow down and focus.

Feb 16, 2012
My DD's PC does the stork drill when she gets out of whack. It really helps her get things back in order. She hates it because she can't stand on one foot without falling over but admits that it helps her a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild