I'm a high school softball player but I don't want to play anymore?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2011
Sorry btw, i'm new to this website so I don't really know how it works.

But anyway, I've been playing high school softball for a couple months now but I lost my passion for it. I used to love playing in my community, but high school softball just isn't as fun. I rarely get to play while I just spend most of my time on the bench with about 4 other teammates. I try to do my best in practices but I just fail at it. I just don't see the point on being on the team anymore, and my teammate is having the same problem. My team also loses most of their games. I want to quit, but softball is part of my school schedule and I can't change it. I'm even beginning to think of ditching practices but if I do I would fail the class. Should I just bear for the rest of the dreading season? How can I do it? The end of this season would probably be the end of softball for me.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2008
ladycc I really admire a young lady who is able to really lay her feelings out on the line like you have. That takes a lot of maturity, and shows that you really do love the game and are hoping to be encouraged to stick with it.

I want you to think through 2 really simple questions:
1. If you were starting and playing all of the time would you continue to play?
2. Are you playing softball as a fun thing to do, or are you playing softball to get better?

If you want to get better then you are in a perfect situation. Coach is obviously honest and tries to field the best players. I can assure you there will be no better feeling than earning your way into the lineup. You will know that you had to work hard and improve to get the spot and perhaps that will be the first thing in your whole life that you had to work to achieve. I'm willing to bet there are leaders on the team that if you asked for extra help, they would be happy to give it to you. Instead of allowing the other girl to drag you down, encourage her to stay after with you, get there early with you or whatever and just try and do the drills together the best that you can.

If you really just play ball to have fun, don't care about getting better then you do need to continue with the season for one simple reason: Prove to yourself that you can tough out any situation without giving up. If you can do that then you will accomplish something that will set you up for success in everything you do in the future. If you quit in the middle of something now, then everything that gets hard in the future will just be that much easier to quit. Then just don't sign up next year. Continue to play rec ball or whatever with your friends and enjoy the fun and the socializing before/afterwards.

Best of luck

Apr 25, 2011
Thanks for the advice. I like to play for fun and I also try to improve my skills. I guess I'm just not a softball player. But your good advice was all I needed to hear, thank you.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
That is really good advice from druer.

Your statement "I guess I'm just not a softball player." reminds me of my youth. I was raised in an orphanage and we were required to play sports. As strange as it may sound I didn't know I could get better at baseball. I thought you could either play or you couldn't. That may be why I'm so involved with teaching kids the game now. I've helped quite a few who "just weren't softball players."

You are only limited by what you think you can't do. If you really want to you can be one of the best. I know this because many of "the best" only work a fraction of their potential.

Softball may not be what you decide to be your best at but you should try to be your best at something. It's totally up to you.

Nov 29, 2009
ladycc,

You are not the only one who wants to quit playing. You are at the age where different things interest you. You are mature enough to realize playing softball is not what you want to do at a serious level. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. What you can do is take this as a life lesson. Finish the season trying your best. At some time in your life you will be in a similar but different situation. You can use your experiences here to help you through the next thing.

This is an email I received from a mom of a former player of mine. She plays and starts practically every game. She is a good athlete but she has lost interest in playing softball for other reasons than you have.

Hi Coach,

Looks like we will be wrapping up XXXXXXXX's softball career soon. Even before her freshman season she was losing interest. She has been pretty definite about not wanting to continue in college. I talked her into trying out for the high school team even though she really wanted to play water polo with her friends. She has been miserable every day since. She plays a lot and is doing well but she hates everything about it. She hates the coaches, the girls, the drama, the politics.......

She is planning to finish out her summer commitment and retire her cleats.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with your life. Just be sure you try to excel at it.

Oct 25, 2009
ladycc,

You are not the only one who wants to quit playing. You are at the age where different things interest you. You are mature enough to realize playing softball is not what you want to do at a serious level. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. What you can do is take this as a life lesson. Finish the season trying your best. At some time in your life you will be in a similar but different situation. You can use your experiences here to help you through the next thing.

This is an email I received from a mom of a former player of mine. She plays and starts practically every game. She is a good athlete but she has lost interest in playing softball for other reasons than you have.

Hi Coach,

Looks like we will be wrapping up XXXXXXXX's softball career soon. Even before her freshman season she was losing interest. She has been pretty definite about not wanting to continue in college. I talked her into trying out for the high school team even though she really wanted to play water polo with her friends. She has been miserable every day since. She plays a lot and is doing well but she hates everything about it. She hates the coaches, the girls, the drama, the politics.......

She is planning to finish out her summer commitment and retire her cleats.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with your life. Just be sure you try to excel at it.

She shouldn't finish out the year! Who would want her on their team?

May 10, 2010
If you start the season, finish the season. AT the end of the season retire and move on to other interest, but walk away knowing you did all you could do and it just did not work out. Anthing less than that is giving up. Quitting is easy finishing is harder and defines who a person really is. Not just is softball but in life. Just my opinion

Oct 19, 2009
This would be the advice I would give my daughter. Once you quit something it gets easier to do it again and again. I would tell her you made a commitment to this team, teammates and coach to be a part of this team and to give your best effort. Every practice you should set a goal to improve a part of your game from throwing, fielding, hitting or whatever. Everyone has an advantage over the other some are faster, some are stronger and some have great heart. Evaluate yourself and determine your gift and work on improving yourself in that area where you can make a contribution to the team. Be truthful with yourself are you giving your best effort are you the first one on the field and the last one off the field are you putting in extra effort to get better, or are you a Debbie Downer.

I would tell my daughter that whatever she decided I was on her side and she had my support.

Below is my notes from a D1 coach who made a speech at a local HS it may give you some inspiration, whatever you decide keep us informed and let us know how what you decide. Good luck!

Batter has 4/10 of a second to swing in softball, training, proper swing mechanics are vital to becoming a successful hitter at the highest level.
How to get 100 friends be nice to 100 people.
Don’t be a Debbie Downer always be positive in your outlook on life.
Being negative is a waist of valuable time.
Misery loves company so don’t be the company.

One freshman girl ask for the key to the batting cage, she is down there every morning hitting off a tee an hour before classes. She is a freshman who Pinch-hit for a senior and came through by hitting a grand slam and won the game that placed her in the playoffs. Seeing her hard work and dedication inspired the coaching Staff to trust her with this important at bat, maybe the most important at bat in school history.

5 Traits of a winner.
1. Dream big
2. Work hard - never late to practice.
3. Positive in enthusiasm.
4.Realize value of education and training.
5. Be unselfish, (Do you want to play or do you want to win?).

Group frogs going through the forest 2 fall in a deep pit. The other frogs gather around the deep hole and begin telling the 2 frogs they cannot get out, one gives up and dies, the other frog keeps trying and trying, after one huge effort manages to get out of the hole. The one frog tells them he is deaf and could not hear the other frogs telling him he could not get out so he did not hear the negative comments and did not give up.

A few parting thoughts.
Do you want to play or do you want to win?
The goal is more important than the results.
Never give up on your dream.
A boat will travel straighter and faster if all on board row in the same direction.
The quicker you learn that life is not all about you the sooner you will be happy.
Always give 100% even in practice and warms ups you never know who is watching.

She shouldn't finish out the year! Who would want her on their team?

I would for one!

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Agree with everyone else. Finish out the year, make the best of the current situation, and then if you don't want to play anymore, then don't go out next year.

Good luck!

Oct 25, 2009
This would be the advice I would give my daughter. Once you quit something it gets easier to do it again and again. I would tell her you made a commitment to this team, teammates and coach to be a part of this team and to give your best effort. Every practice you should set a goal to improve a part of your game from throwing, fielding, hitting or whatever. Everyone has an advantage over the other some are faster, some are stronger and some have great heart. Evaluate yourself and determine your gift and work on improving yourself in that area where you can make a contribution to the team. Be truthful with yourself are you giving your best effort are you the first one on the field and the last one off the field are you putting in extra effort to get better, or are you a Debbie Downer.

I would tell my daughter that whatever she decided I was on her side and she had my support.

Below is my notes from a D1 coach who made a speech at a local HS it may give you some inspiration, whatever you decide keep us informed and let us know how what you decide. Good luck!

I would for one!

I wasn't referring to the original poster. I was referring to the one that said she hated the coaches, players, etc.

You would want that player on your team? There are too many players that WANT to play to have to deal with a player that hates everyone and everything about your team. The hater would be happier somewhere else and the team would be much better for it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild