Illegal pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL
And just out of curiosity, how long have you umpired? How many schools and clinics have you attended? How many times have you passed the test? Are you aware of the umpire's duties and responsibilities and the priorities assigned to each?
Next thing you know, you will be insisting the tie doesn't go to the runner. :rolleyes:

I hate to get involved in this as I am just a humble old coach ;) there is no tie goes to the runner. The out must be made prior to the runner touching the base. If that does not happen then runner safe. If they arrive at the same time, out did not occur prior to runner there fore safe. I will now put on my mylar vest ;)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I can't argue about Cat Osterman. I saw her pitch at a Racers game. She has quick feet and she throws 74 mph. She sell tickets. The majority of pitchers out there are rather sloppy. I also can't argue that a crow hopper's feet are planted on the ground at release. It's just that she is "planted" instead of lightly on the balls of her feet. It takes more energy, thus causing fatigue. The initial shock of planting ones feet makes me feel that it would be more difficult to field.

Cat throws 74? Maybe if she rears back and throws the fastball, but during games she rarely hit 65. Her forte is movement and the more speed the straighter her pitches go.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
First of all, the illegal pitcher isn't going to get recruited as a pitcher and is most likely a shortstop filling the role of pitcher to get through the game. Second of all, just tell the girls to hit ground balls up the middle. There's no way a crow hopping pitcher is going to be able to field a ball if she isn't even on the ground. I wouldn't lose sleep over how she is pitching. In fact, if I were you, I'd be sleeping better knowing your daughter is a legal pitcher and that other team had to use someone who can't even pitch legally.

Illegal pitchers get recruited all the time. Just watch the WCWS and you will see plenty of them.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I can't argue about Cat Osterman. I saw her pitch at a Racers game. She has quick feet and she throws 74 mph. She sell tickets. The majority of pitchers out there are rather sloppy. I also can't argue that a crow hopper's feet are planted on the ground at release. It's just that she is "planted" instead of lightly on the balls of her feet. It takes more energy, thus causing fatigue. The initial shock of planting ones feet makes me feel that it would be more difficult to field.

Not to pick on you but if a pitcher is not firm on her front foot when she plants she is not going to generate much power.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I hate to get involved in this as I am just a humble old coach ;) there is no tie goes to the runner. The out must be made prior to the runner touching the base. If that does not happen then runner safe. If they arrive at the same time, out did not occur prior to runner there fore safe. I will now put on my mylar vest ;)

I believe you missed MTR's sarcastic point. :)

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
...I will continue to watch my DD pitch the legal way and know that I'm doing the right thing. If an umpire wants to turn the blind eye and continue to allow blatant cheating to occur, that's on them.

Welcome to the dark side. It only took 11 pages to do what I mentioned in the 2nd response to this post. :)

Nov 14, 2011
True but I was hoping for an answer to my question of why it isn't called only to receive sarcastic responses and people questioning the call itself by "professional umpires".

I gave up.....

Jun 18, 2010
When DD practices on an artificial surface, she has a tendency to "gym step" (as Out in Left Field calls it). I asked her about this, and she says she can never get the push off she needs because she is not able to really dig her pivot foot in to the pitchers plate.

This does not apply to the OP's situation as it was indoors on artificial turf, but I think a lot of pitchers get the benefit of the doubt regarding illegal pitches, especially with the foot work due to poor field conditions around here. Often times the area in front of the pitchers plate is a disaster, almost to the point where I fear injury to the pitcher. I have seen trenches as deep as 6-8" in front of the pitchers plate. When there are ruts leaps are never called. We regularly face a crow-hopper/re-planter who is never called for an illegal pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes