Illegal pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
Watched a game today. Pitcher presents with ball and glove at chest level. Takes ball out rocks it back to start pitch and brings it back half way up the circle then rocks back and then all the way around. This is an illegal pitch right? Umpire didn't call it?

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Once the hands seperate,you can swing the arm backwards, but once it starts forward, you cannot stop or reverse direction of the ball. From your description, it would be illegal.

I was watching a local college showcase tournament this weekend. One pitcher never once put her hands together before the pitch, but the umps never called an illegal pitch. Don't know if they just didn't notice (doubtful) or just didn't care to call it. Seemed strange.

Jul 26, 2010
Ball and glove have to be separated when the pitcher takes the rubber, then the hands come together. Other then that everything seems fine.

-W

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
I was watching a local college showcase tournament this weekend. One pitcher never once put her hands together before the pitch, but the umps never called an illegal pitch. Don't know if they just didn't notice (doubtful) or just didn't care to call it. Seemed strange.

In showcases they almost never call illegal pitches. (Worse, they often don't call leaving early either.)

May 18, 2009
This was a double pump. Hands apart, ball in right hand. Ball brought into glove and then rocking back with ball leaving glove and going behind pitcher, then coming forward to shoulder height, then being brought back down and behind pitcher again, then going through the windmill. I could not believe Ump not calling this. We had umpires calling illegal pitches on the 7 and 8 year olds but not this?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp