Illegal pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
There is also a camp that says move back to 46 and do away with the IP rules all together. That is until they see what an elite pitcher can do once they are afforded the opportunity.

Mar 2, 2013
When an illegal pitch occurs, the ball is delayed dead.
1. If all runners, including the batter-runner, safely advance one base, the illegal pitch is "nullified" and the ball remains live.
2. If all runners, including the batter-runner, do not safely advance one base, the offended team has the option to accept the result of the play (in its entirety) or accept enforcement of the penalty: a ball is awarded to the batter and all runners (regardless of whether they are forced) advance one base from the base held at the time of the pitch.

Do not confuse this with catcher's obstruction. #1 is true for catcher's obstruction. #2 is not. There, the penalty is that the batter-runner is awarded 1st base and only those runners who are forced to advance as a result of the batter becoming a batter-runner advance.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
When an illegal pitch occurs, the ball is delayed dead.
1. If all runners, including the batter-runner, safely advance one base, the illegal pitch is "nullified" and the ball remains live.
2. If all runners, including the batter-runner, do not safely advance one base, the offended team has the option to accept the result of the play (in its entirety) or accept enforcement of the penalty: a ball is awarded to the batter and all runners (regardless of whether they are forced) advance one base from the base held at the time of the pitch.

Do not confuse this with catcher's obstruction. #1 is true for catcher's obstruction. #2 is not. There, the penalty is that the batter-runner is awarded 1st base and only those runners who are forced to advance as a result of the batter becoming a batter-runner advance.

So if the BR ropes a line drive and into OF and scores 2, but gets thrown out at 2nd, you do not have the option of enforcing the IP? Instead, you have to take the result of the play?

Jun 22, 2008
So if the BR ropes a line drive and into OF and scores 2, but gets thrown out at 2nd, you do not have the option of enforcing the IP? Instead, you have to take the result of the play?

That is correct. Not sure why you would possibly take 2 runs off the board in order to take the illegal pitch penalty.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
That is correct. Not sure why you would you would possibly take 2 runs off the board in order to take the illegal pitch penalty.

I wouldn't. I live by the football adage; "Never take points off the board!" I was just wanting clarification. I'm pretty sure I knew that this was the case. Just kinda forgotten.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
C division of what? I am not aware of any C division in any rule set I have ever worked.

USSSA 12u 'C' tourneys. I know, I know. You only have the rule books and sets that are in front of you. "An illegal pitch call always advances any runners on base. Same in all rule sets." I just gave you one example of when that isn't true. I look forward to being corrected.

Jun 22, 2008
Then it is some add on rule they put on some limited tournaments because the USSSA rule book has no mention of "C" rules of any kind in it.

Mar 26, 2013
Not sure why you would possibly take 2 runs off the board in order to take the illegal pitch penalty.
You were down 3+ runs in the last inning and that was your last out. You also might not want to trade an out for the second run if 1 run would score with the IP penalty.

Regardless, the lesson is you don't automatically get that option and therefore have to coach the situation properly (i.e. no 'free' shot at an extra base).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877